Question Thoughts on OMS Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cammy3761

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at getting a bp/w setup soon, had a look at some OMS gear and looks good, seems kinda difficult to get in the UK. Was also looking at Apeks gear. Only going to use a single tank at the moment but I am soon to strap some doubles on. Aluminium preferably because i would like to travel with it 😀. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Nothing special about OMS. Aside from some minor shape differences with wings they are all about the same. Figure out how much lift you need and get one you like the looks of. Stay away from any "this will make you a better diver" widgets and you'll be fine. Plates are plates: stainless if you need the weight, aluminum if you don't. Get a simple hogarthian harness unless your shoulders are shaped so you need the chest strap. If you aren't sure about that part, put on a day hiking backpack and see if the chest strap is comfortable or usefull.

However, if you are under 5'3" or so, get a small backplate.

OMS has a great selection of dive equipment especially BC's and I'd recommend them and use them. Their regulators aren't anything special however. I'd buy their BC's without any second thoughts but I'd buy regulators from Atomic, SP or Apeks before OMS regulators.

If you are looking at something specific from OMS, let me know.

I have OMS stuff, It was my dream to own a big OMS bungeed wing 25yrs ago when I couldn't afford it

Plates are for diving not for travelling

I've used a OMS B/P/harness/wing setup for about the last 12 years. It has held well and probably has more dives left in it than I do. I also have a OMS double tank adapter it has double velco straps to secure the tanks; it bolts onto the back plate; another quality item. There has been zero issues with either, I'd recommend an OMS B/P/harness/wing.

I have OMS stuff, It was my dream to own a big OMS bungeed wing 25yrs ago when I couldn't afford it

Plates are for diving not for travelling

Big Wings are for people with big fins. The bigger the wing, the bigger the fin!!

That’s the comfort one I don’t really want, I want a minimalist setup

For whatever reason, OMS has always seemed to be more popular in the UK and with the N.E. wreck diving community in the U.S., not so much in cave country.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom