Thoughts on getting a new Mask and help deciding.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I have recently been thinking about getting a new mask. Not because I necessarily need one but because I have heard it is good to have a back-up and also because I have been looking at different mask options more. Currently I have a Genesis Tri-View mask. Its kinda a generic mask. Clear skirt, 3 windows and clear glass. I have the luxury of having a bunch of shops in my area so I have been going around and looking at the shops since I cannot currently go diving. I have been interested in the masks with black skirts and polarized lenses but I'm not sure how or what they do and if they make any difference. That is where you all come in.

I would like to know the pros and cons of the polarized lenses. I have read some about the black skirts on here so I have an idea about that, but feel free to give advice on that too. I have no models in mind at the time so advice there helps too.

Thanks!

Who make polarized dive masks?

Home | E.B. Industries, Inc.

2014-Catalog_121713-16.jpg

Well, it has been years since all my Physics classes but light waves randomly vibrate. When a light ray strikes a flat, reflective surface such as a water surface, the light rays vibrations are re-oriented vertical, or 90 degrees from that reflective surface, they are in effect polarized. A polarized (sunglass) lens is designed to pass light only vibrating, more or less, horizontal. Thus it eliminates glare (unless you rotate the lens of course) because the vertical vibrating light waves cannot pass.

Something like that.

I do not think these masks are polarized glass and I cannot imagine why that would be useful. This may be on par with those cheapo glasses sold on late night TV that "look like glasses coasting hundreds."

N

Probably aren't polarized but there are all kinds of coatings and colors. Figured they might be polarized too.

Polarized lenses remove light. I can not understand why a diver would want to remove light, except the light that passes through a clear mask-skirt, at that causes annoying reflections on the inside of the mask

ok well maybe they are not polarized but I was talking about those Sea Dive masks and other masks with colored lenses. Do those do anything special that makes diving better than a plain clear mask or do they just look cool?

:acclaim:

Back
Top Bottom