thoughts on getting a DM for gear check dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah, request all 100 cf tanks. That extra 25% is wonderful to us air hogs, and most newbies are.

Remembe JJ....NO WORRIES, it's Cozumel !!! ...:) Work through the first dive or two, take your time, take it "Very Very Slow" as our divemaster Pedro says. Before you know it, you will get yourself to the point of a 90 min dive on an 80 tank with air to spare. :D We all started where you are and we all have plenty to learn. In fact, I want to say Kudos to you for considering the option of a private DM to start off with. It shows that you are serious about your diving interest and diving responsibly. Good for you ! Have a wonderful time.

I will second Don's suggestion. Get larger tanks if possible.

Coz has some deep dives, and we had some newbies on board that went through an AL80 in 25 minutes. The rest of us were doing 60minutes+ on the same tank size. These were not horribly deep with max depth maybe 80;, and average more around 50'.

Unfortunately SAC rate is not something you can fix quickly, so having more air is never a bad idea. If you find you can hang with the group for 60minutes or whatever, and come up with over 1000psi on a 100, then you can tell the OP you want 80's. The larger tanks come with a bigger price tag. You may also be doing shallow dives on the second or fourth dive of the day, and can also request a 100 for the first dive, and an 80 for the second. This assumes the OP has 100's.

Have a great time, and enjoy! Dive Safe...

thanks again guys!!
Yes, I'm very serious about diving and making my experience as pleasurable as possible.

thanks again guys!!
Yes, I'm very serious about diving and making my experience as pleasurable as possible.
Take your gear to Athens this weekend and dive the same rig & suit you plan to use. It's FW but I just add 4# to that for SW; Ron said 6#, which could be nice, and I agree: overweight is better than underweight. You have to have good buoyancy in that quarry as shallow as it is and it's a good place to practice your frog kick to avoid stirring the bottom.

Altho I still strongly suggest a private DM for your first dives. Boat entrances & exits are different than training dives and the Coz current can be fun or frightening depending on how you take it. You have a S-Sausage, Storm Whistle, and dive light for every dive, right...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom