Thoughts on Garmin Decent MK2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

Rost

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for an upgrade to my diving computer. Currently have Oceanic Geo 4.0, absolutely satisfied with them, but feel like I need something fancied, with more features and suitable for daily use, not just for diving. Decent MK2i seems like a perfect fit and I like it's second features, but I wonder if it's any good as a dive computer?

I have the same sentiments as @scrane . I have the Mk2i that I purchased just over a year ago, and am extremely happy with it. I wear it almost every day, and its a great diver watch as well as fitness tracker and smart watch.

When I bought it I also purchased two transmitters, with the flexibility of either convenience (1 on my twins regs & 1 on singles, or 1 on my twins, one on stage). Unlike others, I've not had any issues at all with the beeping, battery life, or accuracy of the transmitters.

Since purchasing the watch, my partner has started diving, and it's been convenient to have her and my gas pressure on my computer. But it does mean that if we want to keep that convenience as she builds up her gear, she is locked into getting a Mk2i.

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd ask in here, since there are a few owners:

Does the descent support adaptive safety stops like the Shearwaters do? That is, 3 mins by default but ups it to 5 mins if you go deeper than 30m or within a couple of minutes of NDL. My friend has a MK2s and was asking to set it up like this, but when I checked in the settings, disappointingly there was only an option for 5 mins, 3 mins or off?

SL

Rather than start a new topic I thought I'd ask in here, since there are a few owners:

Does the descent support adaptive safety stops like the Shearwaters do? That is, 3 mins by default but ups it to 5 mins if you go deeper than 30m or within a couple of minutes of NDL. My friend has a MK2s and was asking to set it up like this, but when I checked in the settings, disappointingly there was only an option for 5 mins, 3 mins or off?

SL
I would set the safety stop for 5 mins. Blow off the last 2 mins on a standard dive. Do the full 5 mins if you exceed 30m or push the NDL.

Your primary computer is not on your wrist.😉

Brand new to forum and still a OW diver trainee. I’ve actively studying gear and accessories and from what I’ve learned dive computers are becoming almost a necessity.

I want to get a dive computer as one of my first pieces of equipment. I wear an iWatch daily. I use it’s activity features. I golf and like the golf gpa the watch provides.

Will it make sense to spend the $1500 for the MK2i to make it a complete package?

Is the air integration the way to go? I like it can monitor 2 tanks since my 10yo daughter will be going for her Jr OW along with me.

Am I crazy considering such an extreme purchase? (Question from the Queen)

Glad to be apart of this forum and appreciate all of the help in my new adventure.

Thanks
What did you end up doing?

I’ve found the golf functions (for the one-two times I play per year) to be really impressive on the Descent.

I use it every day in the gym. I’m a big fan of the recovery metrics and the Body Battery tracking. I tried to go back to an Apple Watch last week and just missed the battery life, the recovery metrics, and the Garmin Connect app.

And I love being able to track a kid’s tank pressure, too.

What did you end up doing?

I’ve found the golf functions (for the one-two times I play per year) to be really impressive on the Descent.

I use it every day in the gym. I’m a big fan of the recovery metrics and the Body Battery tracking. I tried to go back to an Apple Watch last week and just missed the battery life, the recovery metrics, and the Garmin Connect app.

And I love being able to track a kid’s tank pressure, too.
I went all in and bought the MK2i Bundle and never looked back! Absolutely love it! Now my daughter just got her Jr OW Diver Cert and when I buy her a reg set I’ll grab a second transmitter. She’ll have an entry dive computer and learn to monitor her SPG and I’ll back her up on my watch.

I like my Garmin Descent MK2i, although I use it as a backup computer. It has so many features and apps that I’m still getting to know it after using it for over a year. One of the things that I like best is when you’re in Dive mode it also shows you your entry point and exit point.

Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for an upgrade to my diving computer. Currently have Oceanic Geo 4.0, absolutely satisfied with them, but feel like I need something fancied, with more features and suitable for daily use, not just for diving. Decent MK2i seems like a perfect fit and I like it's second features, but I wonder if it's any good as a dive computer?
I have been using a Garmin Descent Mk2 since they were first launched. It's really nice to have a single device that can serve as both a dive computer and a smart watch / fitness tracker. As a dive computer it generally works fine. I wish there was a way to disable the ascent rate alarm and the gas switch prompt, but those are minor annoyances. The automatic GPS dive site logging is a great feature. And you can also use it to navigate to dive site coordinates on the surface before descending, which I don't think any other dive computer can do.

I have been using a Garmin Descent Mk2 since they were first launched. It's really nice to have a single device that can serve as both a dive computer and a smart watch / fitness tracker. As a dive computer it generally works fine. I wish there was a way to disable the ascent rate alarm and the gas switch prompt, but those are minor annoyances. The automatic GPS dive site logging is a great feature. And you can also use it to navigate to dive site coordinates on the surface before descending, which I don't think any other dive computer can do.
Which mode do you use for dive site navigation?

Which mode do you use for dive site navigation?
I use the Navigate activity profile set for direct routing. It's a little awkward while riding a scooter since I have to periodically lift my right arm out of the water to get a GPS fix but it does work.

Back
Top Bottom