Thoughts on Garmin Decent MK2i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
R

Rost

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, everyone!

I'm looking for an upgrade to my diving computer. Currently have Oceanic Geo 4.0, absolutely satisfied with them, but feel like I need something fancied, with more features and suitable for daily use, not just for diving. Decent MK2i seems like a perfect fit and I like it's second features, but I wonder if it's any good as a dive computer?

What about the buzzing every 3 second's from the transmitter while diving?
I never noticed that either. :D

Its a great smart watch as well as a dive computer so far my 29 dives. :yeahbaby:

It also replaced my iWatch, the Garmin pay, listening to Amazon Music and recording other events such as walking & yoga is also easy to do.

Love the Dive log on the Garmin Dive app, records GPS and lil maps. You can also download the dive data from the Garmin Connect website.

The Subwave Sonar based communication lets you and your buddies share air tank data underwater.
Underwater Communication Network - Garmin Technology Sub-Cat. Page | GARMIN

No experience with this product below, but thinking about it as a PLB solution.
IN Reach mini & underwater case is compatible with the Descent.
Garmin inReach® Mini 2 | Satellite Communicator | Messenger

No. It's like there's just not enough room for my wrist and my watch in some places. I worked in the automotive industry for 30 years. Ask ol' @tbone1004: I'm not your average shade tree mechanic.

View attachment 708288

Doing a head and timing chain job on my nephew's truck last year... notice My Descent on my left wrist.

View attachment 708287

16 year old me rebuilding my Cortina GT engine in my carport... no Descent here :D
(That's 49 years ago)​
Hooray! You qualify for Medicare. At last!

How do they feel during workout? Aren't they too big?
I have had the mk1 and the mk2i, both have gone on a ton of work outs and never felt like it was an issue.

The mk2i is a very durable watch and I have thrashed it around probably more than most since it was released. It does have an issue of being harder initially to use than other dive watches since there are so many functions. Literally there is something for any type of sport out there. But once you are used to the flow and options it is a breeze.

Here is a post when someone was asking about a comparison to the Teric that might have some info that you find useful.

I now use mine on low and it still is noticeable on occasion but it doesn't annoy me as the higher power settings did. Some say they never hear it, but I believe that they possible have some hearing issues, diving with a hood or have it on an extension. It seems that no one else can hear the beep even when they are close and while it is on high power.

I've sung the praises of my Mk2i on other threads as a phenomenal adventure watch. In short, I've used it for biking, backpacking, hiking, and over 60 dives. It's been an outstanding performer across the board, and I'm deeply happy I bought it.

I should add that this is the first time I've ever had an integrated fitness tracker system before. I won't say my exact stats, but my fitness has substantially improved since getting my Mk2i. I don't credit the watch with making that happen specifically, but it has been a fantastic motivator and performance tracker.

I have also mentioned this on other threads, but the T1 is mildly annoying when I'm not wearing a hood. Switching it to low power improved things; but it's definitely there, buzzing in my ear every few seconds. I appreciate the data, and I would buy it again, but the it's the least pleasant part of the system.

This computer is amazing!!! and that is coming from a die hard Shearwater owner and user for many many years, I have used Predators, Petrel 1, Petrel 2, Perdix's, Teric's and love them all expect the Teric was not a big fan. But just recently picked one up to use as a smart watch for outdoor activates and love it!! The amount to features and use for it is endless. It actually pretty impressive all this can be packed into a watch. In my opnion this is a Teric killer and if you like standard watch platforms it is a no brainer to get this over the Teric. That being said I have dove the original 2 button Shearwater platform for so long I can't get away from them. CC diver here with multiple units with hardwired in Petrel's so for simplicity, button muscle memory, display uniformity, etc. my backup computers are always Shearwater 2 button platforms. I probably will only use the Garmin for recreation fun dives the random odd time I go single tank and I bought the Garmin fully knowing I was going to use it pretty much just as an everyday watch for outdoor activates, work out, hiking, biking, skiing, mountaineering, climbing, music, etc. its like the iWatch but better.

Seriously for a dive computer technology just amazes me! The thing has built in 2,000 song Spotify, you can pay for your groceries with it, track your surfing waves, or ski resort runs and still go on a mixed gas CC decompression dive with it.

Brand new to forum and still a OW diver trainee. I’ve actively studying gear and accessories and from what I’ve learned dive computers are becoming almost a necessity.

I want to get a dive computer as one of my first pieces of equipment. I wear an iWatch daily. I use it’s activity features. I golf and like the golf gpa the watch provides.

Will it make sense to spend the $1500 for the MK2i to make it a complete package?

Is the air integration the way to go? I like it can monitor 2 tanks since my 10yo daughter will be going for her Jr OW along with me.

Am I crazy considering such an extreme purchase? (Question from the Queen)

Glad to be apart of this forum and appreciate all of the help in my new adventure.

Thanks

I use an older Mk1 as backup to my Perdix AI. After my rather impulsive purchase of the Descent I began to have misgivings. But, after three years with the Garmin, up in the hills and underwater I have had no problems and have gained great respect for Garmin's ability to build dive computers. Battery life as a watch, sports watch, and dive computer has been well above expectations. Accuracy and precision is equal to the Perdix. Ergonomics and menus are well designed. I have no reason to believe that the quality of the groundbreaking Mk1 has not been maintained in the later models.
Will I buy a Garmin MK2 ai? ... no. I think the proprietary transmitter might be a dead end. I much prefer the near universal applicability of the MH8A.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom