Thoughts on Dive Rite Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
While I wait (im)patiently for OMS to come out with a Slipstream in my size, I'm looking at alternatives to my Scubapro Jets.

I did a quick search on Dive Rite fins but didn't really find anything -- positive or negative. Would someone who's tried them care to comment on them?

Mind you, since they're currently in transition, an opinion on the old Dive Rite fin may not be all that helpful, but I'm curious to know more about them anyway... foot pocket comfort, variety of kicks, performance in currents, etc.

TIA! :)

I currently use diverites when diving dry. a big plus is that they come with spring straps. I think the foot pocket is more comfortable than the jets and they are also more efficient. They can be used with every kind of kick that I know of. They are a bit long and the little loop on the back of the heel strap likes to get caught on stuff (I ended up cutting those off). They pick up scratches really easilly too.

Last I heard dive rite discontinued them until they can straighten out some issues they had with the manufactuer, something about second rate materials I think, so it might be hard to find a new pair.

I hope that helps.

I too dive with them dry and have mixed feelings about them somewhat but I just got them this year and only have 75 dives or so on them. First, they are very easy to do all kicks with from frog to helicopter. Flutter to me is somewhat harder but that may be a muscle memory thing as frog is my normal kick. Because of their length and stiffness the frog kick is very powerful and makes me glide a long way which is nice especially with the drag of a drysuit. On the other hand I think they are a bit too long and I have a problem somewhat in obstructed environments. My normal fins are Rockets which are fairly short and transition between the two because of length differences is something I have to work on. Slipping them on is super easy and the foot pocket design/spring strap is very comfy and has never been a problem gettting off or on in current, shore or boat.

I originally got them after getting fed up swimming with other fins in my dry suit and getting tired of feeling like I was finning and getting very little headway with all the drag and resistance. The DR fins on the very first dive took care of this problem and provided great propulsion. For all of my "issues" which are in actuality not serious at all the DR fins have performed in every aspect that I wanted them too and later today will be doing so again as my dry suit fin of choice.

I started out with a set of Atomic splits which I liked. Then a friend let me borrow a set of DR fins. I bought a pair for myself and only use my Atomics for training in the pool now. I haven't encountered a problem doing any of the different types of fin kicks. Yes, they are a bit long but for that extra length you get a very long glide portion of a frog kick.

From what I remember about the difference between the old and new fins, the newer fins are supposed to be made from a stiffer material. You may want to check the Dive Rite forum here on Scubaboard. I seem to remember that info being posted there.

While I wait (im)patiently for OMS to come out with a Slipstream in my size, I'm looking at alternatives to my Scubapro Jets.

I did a quick search on Dive Rite fins but didn't really find anything -- positive or negative. Would someone who's tried them care to comment on them?

Mind you, since they're currently in transition, an opinion on the old Dive Rite fin may not be all that helpful, but I'm curious to know more about them anyway... foot pocket comfort, variety of kicks, performance in currents, etc.

TIA! :)

DR's are my backups. I wear Slipstreams because Scubapro is too ... well they don't make them in my size, let's leave it at that. DR's come with very nice factory spring heels, most comfortable. Dr's lighther and more flex than OMS, neither desirable to me. Jets are still my favorite, OMS a close second, DR's worth having when you want an easy dive. -all my opinion, of course

I wish they were a little shorter, but they are the only neutral tech fin available in smaller sizes, so they're what I use, wet and dry. I'll try the Slipstreams if/when they show up in L.

Thank you for the replies! :) Based on what I'm reading, they're definitely worth trying.

According to the website, they should finally be ready in April 09.

The one thing I don't care for based on the picture are the spring straps. I'm used to the fabric covered ones like the ones Wayward Son and Halcyon make. The plastic doesn't look as sturdy (I see it more susceptible to wear and tear than fabric) plus it looks bulky, not including the pull tab on the back which I would want to cut off. How are DR's straps connected to the fin? Is it possible to use another spring strap on them?

Also, what about variances in boot sizes? Say a person with a larger or smaller boot somehow manages to wear the same size fin as mine (I wear Seasoft boots and they're cut pretty wide across the ball of the foot)... I know the springs stretch to a degree, but I want spring straps that fit my boot the way I want it to, and it may not necessarily be the way DR wants it to. :wink:

... The one thing I don't care for based on the picture are the spring straps. I'm used to the fabric covered ones like the ones Wayward Son and Halcyon make. The plastic doesn't look as sturdy (I see it more susceptible to wear and tear than fabric) plus it looks bulky, not including the pull tab on the back which I would want to cut off. How are DR's straps connected to the fin? Is it possible to use another spring strap on them? ...

-they are nicely engineered to be as snag-free as possible on the sides. The plastic is very sturdy and the spring is very long so it will have the same feel for a pretty good range of sizes. You won't be changing out the spring, part of the design. Comfort is your call, the fins are popular enough that you shouldn't have any problem borrowing a pair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom