Thoughts on breathable inflators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TooManyHobbies

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
They seem pretty cool overall. Takes a hose off the stage one, attaches the backup breather to a place I'm going to grab for anyways, takes up very little space.
My instructor used an Air-2 in the pool during training and says he uses the same to travel, but goes long hose for his local OW dives. Either way, he donates his primary.
I HATE my octopus. It was bought by someone else (though I paid for it) thinking it was the slim Mares octo. It's not. It's the utterly massive SX Scuba octo. It feels cheap, came on a black hose, and creates enough drag that I have to recover and reattach it regularly. It also breathes pretty poorly and feels like it takes up half my chest... I'm 6'4" 220...

I see three options here, open to others:
1. Replace the octo and stick with a normal rec setup. I'm kind of "meh" on this idea. Some octos seem nice enough, but I've gotten the impression from fellow divers that this is going out of common use. The hose sticking out my right side is cumbersome sometimes.
2. Replace the octo and go with a long hose. I'm still not sure I want to wrap something around my neck, even halfway. Not talking about the necklace, I mean the reg hose. My military time has made me wary of such things. I also would need to do more research on replacing the hose on my primary with a 5' or 7'. Those questions forthcoming.
3. Go with a breathable inflator. Seems like a nice idea for the reasons above. I just haven't seen much info on the pros and cons on here. There's a Sherwood for sale on one of the sites right now for about $100. If I didn't get that, I'd consider going with an Atomic to match my primary.

Another possible consideration is that I'm going to be getting a 40cf pony bottle soon and I'll probably sling it every dive I can drive to. Considering a 19cf version for traveling.

Thoughts?

They are typically called integrated power inflators. The most popular models are SS1 and Air2. Use the search feature, you'll find so many opinions and arguments that you're head will spin. Ignore those with extreme opinions. Good luck.

I use the Atomic octo/inflator on my BP/W and sometimes I necklace a G250 octo on a 22” hose too as I warm up to the long hose under the arm, I like a 42/44” hose under the arm because a 40” just doesn’t fit me well (6’5” 250) so you may find a little experimenting helpful.

Overall the octo/inflator is a good thing but it’s got its limits, I wouldn’t want to do much more diving using one for breathing than a to the surface bailout.
So to answer the questions; yes all 3 but pick up a good quality second stage to use on the short hose (replace your longish primary hose with something in the 21 to 24” range so it’s not bowing out ove your shoulder.) slinging a stage bottle all of the time is a good idea or never depending on the diving you do.

Is there any reason to stick with an Atomic hose? I’m imagining that a hose is a hose, but this is diving and nothing is ever that simple.

The first thing I do is remove the comfort swivel hose from any Atomic I get, they aren’t a bad hose but I prefer braided hoses. The only thing you’ll need is a hose and the nut to take up the space that the comfort swivel uses on the air barrel, it’s about $12 or so.

I don’t actually have the one with the swivel. So no issue there. I would think the swivel would help with the under arm positioning.
Where do I find what the threading is? Or are they all the same?

I don’t actually have the one with the swivel. So no issue there. I would think the swivel would help with the under arm positioning.
Where do I find what the threading is? Or are they all the same?
Pretty much all LP reg hoses are the same threads, if you have the Z Atomic you have the nut already so just buy the hose and a 70° or 90° swivel for the second stage (just angled fittings really) to point the hose in the right direction.

Most octo-inflators use a proprietary coupling at the BC end - the SS1 does - my buddy has one.
I'm pretty sure the Air2 does also.

Leisurepro sells a Z2 octo also - it will also breathe as well as your primary. I have one on my T2.

Nice thing about the SS1 is they use a slightly larger hose than astandard so it breathes the same as your primary. Since you'll be using it in an ooa situation - good to have.

Also there used to be two versions, the better one was as all titanium. Quite a price difference.

Imagine doing an air share while ascending from depth.....can you see any issues?

Imagine doing an air share while ascending from depth.....can you see any issues?
Hey. Maybe I like being blasted in the mouth with BC air. You don’t know me!

The more I’ve read, the less I’m leaning towards the inflator version.
Maybe I’ll try a long hose but tuck it instead of wrapping it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom