Thoughts on Atomic Gear( New diver thinking about purchase)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive the Atomic T3. I purchased it because I had a little extra money at the time from cashing out an investment and wanted something nice. I justified the expense to my wife saying that it was lightest reg and was for travel.

But in all honesty the Z3 breaths the same and is a third of the price. The letter designation for Atomic indicates the type of metals used in the first stage and the second stages are all very similar. If the M1 has a higher nitro rating that would be the only reason to buy that model over any of the others models. If you are diving tech then you would need a regulator like the M1 but if just diving recreationally then the Z3 would do just fine.

I'm not a fan of console dive computers and prefer a wrist mount. I do like the display of the Cobalt which is a beautiful screen. If you like consoles and have the money to spend then it is a great computer. But for the same cost you could have a very nice wrist computer and even have wireless air integration if you wanted that option too.

in any event both the M1 and Cobalt are excellent choices.

I have two Atomic B2's bought in '09 and one Atomic B2 bought in '14. I use two B2's for side mount and the 3rd for my pony bottle. Someone asked why use an expensive reg for a pony and my answer is because if I have to use it in an emergency I want to know I have a dependable reg that will work. I haven't had an issue with any of them and the coldest dive was 48 degrees and I have approx 140 dives on the older ones. Don't dunk the 1st stage just rinse your 2nd. The only issue is I forgot to clean one after an ocean dive other than just a quick spray. Next dive had some wet breathing issues. The equipment guy cleaned everything and told me to do a better job in salt water.

You won't go wrong with an Atomic regulator. I own an M1 and a T3 but I would be equally comfortable with an ST1 or Z3. Fantastic regs, they breath like no others.

Still diving an Atomic T1-B2 I bought in 1999.

Just saying . . .

Safe dives . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !

the K

My thought is exactly what you said in your initial post. It's expensive. I'd buy a HOG or diverite before that. Check Diverightinscuba or divegearexpress. They have those brands.

Forgot the computer...if you're spending $300 or more I'd buy a Petrel. Less than $300 buy a DC-03 from Divegearexpress.

And at DiveGearExpress you can also buy an Atomic regulator. Thought I think they only list the M1, they are an Atomic dealer if you want a different reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom