Thoughts on Atomic Gear( New diver thinking about purchase)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mikey, required for all technical diving, required if you want to use your computer on a rental/borrowed regulator set.... Easier to deal with in a regular diving situation because it is less clutter with the spg clipped to your left shoulder or hip and it is nice and streamlined, console computers are big and bulky, require the console to cross to the right shoulder if you want a streamlined rig, don't allow for easy use with long hoses because the hoses cross, etc etc. long list of reasons. If you're only ever going to do recreational diving with your own regulators, then integrated consoles can work, but for versatility, you can't beat wrist computers

Mikey, required for all technical diving

Funny, I did a lot of tech dives on a Cobalt with no problem - including plenty with significant BT in the 200' range with two deco gases and more than an hour of deco. It's a very nice computer (the diver planner is far superior to what the Petrel offers) that has some annoying restrictions (inability to edit gases while diving, pre-programmed gas switches, audible alarms that cannot be turned off) but nothing that makes it unsuitable for tech diving.

I think the Petrel is a better computer and I prefer it, but when it works the Cobalt is undoubtedly the best console computer on the market. If they'd get around to adding helium support and show even a hint of giving a :censored: about users who neither need nor want the mickey mouse rec interface/alarms, it would be a very good tech computer indeed...but the years of 'oh yeah, we'll look at that' followed by utter inaction leads me to believe that's not going to happen.

Lecter I agree, you could turn the Cobalt into a legit computer for doubles use, and it's the only one that even has a shot on the market, but it falls short enough to where I wouldn't consider it

Thank you for your input Richard i really appreciate it. I feel like the Cobalt 2 fits what I'm looking for, i defiantly want a back up wrist watch. i was thinking about the suunto zoop. it seems like a simple system and a reasonable price. Oh and thanks for mentioning about rinsing the reg i wouldn't have thought of that, makes sense. I wonder if one that is a sealed system would do that? or if like you say only if its under pressure? hmm
The Zoop uses a different algorithm than the Cobalt. Actually it will be the more conservative of the two initially and only able to be set even more conservatively - Suunto's idea of diving safely. The Oceanic Bud or some of their wrist models - provide levels of adjust-ability to match most other brand computers
. Dual Algorithm® with Conservative Factor Setting adjusts to match just about any computer out there
Rinsing an M1 is virtually no different than any other reg. Optimally you don't want to dunk both stages simultaneously for a long time. The Seat Saver Orifice will retract the seat allowing a tiny amount of water to flow back up the hose and into the first stage. So rinse one stage then the other. Although I dove a B1 for years and dunked it regularly since I wasn't aware of it then. Nothing was corroded when it was serviced multiple times.

However the whole idea behind the M1 is that
First stage materials are chrome plated Brass for the body and Monel for key internal components
Monel is:
a nickel-copper alloy with high tensile strength and resistance to corrosion.
So even less likely to be affected if it is dunked. Brass is probably the only part of the 1st stage that could corrode and that takes a long time and exposure to water - like years. Since it's probably chrome plated inside as well (IDK) I think a lot of it is marketing. (says the happy owner of a T2...)

It's also inert. Good for higher levels of oxygen mixes than you will used in recreational diving. Although any Atomic is good to 40% - and the best recreational Nitrox mix you'll likely find is 36% - most are 32%. So that's only useful in technical diving situations typically. A standard M1 does 50% - 02 cleaned up to 80%. An M1 can also be adapted with a cave ring should you ever pursue that - it allows you to remove the cover during a dive to clean/clear it.

Buy an ST1 if it's still a concern. Stainless doesn't corrode. If you're looking for a deal, see if abstract will tell you where he got his new ST1 recently - he paid $300+ UNDER list. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...xing-first-stage-second-stage-regulators.html

Really the simplest solution if you're concerned is hook it back up to your tank after rinsing and purge both 2nds. The air thru the chamber will dry everything. I know someone who cleans their Atomics hooked to a pony, this seems like overkill to me and never rinses the screen/filter.

Every Atomic breathes identically. And they're all going to last a long time. My B1 is 14 years old and if I didn't tell you, you couldn't tell from a picture - I sold it to my buddy and it's his primary reg - used on dozens of dives yearly. If you're considering the M1 thinking it's better for that reason, probably think again. You're paying more for Monel which is not needed for recreational diving. And the Cave ring option. One nice thing the M1 does have is wider 2nd stage exhaust ports than the rest of the line - some people retrofit them.

A few points about M1s and monel:

The monel piston and swivel retainer are not there to increase the resistance of the first stage to corrosion should water work its way into the reg. They're used to increase the O2 rating of the reg: monel components are why the M1 is rated for up to 50% even if you're not keeping it dedicated (i.e., O2 clean), and why the T3 can be used with up to 40% even if it's not kept O2 clean (despite being made of titanium, which has been known to produce some pretty spectacular O2 fires). But get salt water inside your first stage and whether the piston is monel or just regular old stainless won't matter--it'll be bad.

The M1's cave ring will actually work with any AA second stage, so long as you use the M1 style purge cover with it (and one is included with the cave ring system IIRC). The M1 purge cover is better anyway, as it's less likely to allow the second stage to free flow when facing into a current, so there's that.

As you noted, the M1 has a wider exhaust tee, but while it was dramatically wider than the original AA exhaust tees, it is only slightly wider than the newer exhaust tees found on the Z3/B2/ST1/T3. And retrofit is as easy as buying the M1 tee and snapping in onto your second stage.

Finally, the M1 second stage is less corrosion-resistant than all other AA second stages aside from the Z3 (which it is largely the same as). Rather than using a titanium valve tube like the B2/ST1/T3, the M1 has a chromed brass valve tube for heat transfer purposes (unlike the Z3, it also has a heat sink) that make it somewhat less likely to freeze up in cold(er) water.

The cobalt was recalled at one time, it will not grow with you if you go into tech diving. For the money get a petrel or a SeaBear h1,h3. Air integration is overrated and problematic. A good old brass and glass pressure gauge will last and have fewer failures, so will the petrel. It will cost less too. The atomics are good piston regs, the M1 is their tech diving reg and is popular in Cave/tech diving, it's simple and lacks the ball swivel, and rotating turrets of other models. Tech divers like fewer failure points so M1 that the right reg to grow with you if you get into tech. It has a hand removable flow resistant front cover and can be upgraded with cave rings. Piston regs are better at switching underwater if you would ever have to do it. They also breathe really well. They are on par with Scuba Pro regs, and similar in design. The inside of atomic regs are basically the same, the bodies are made of differing materials from chrome plated brass to Titanium.

The cobalt was recalled at one time

Yeah, because AA proactively determined that a handful of Cobalt 1s hadn't had the HP sensor connection tightened correctly. The only reason to bring it up without any elaboration is because either you're a deceptive weasel, or you're too clueless to have a relevant opinion. Moving on...

it will not grow with you if you go into tech diving

Likely true if you mean trimix, but the Cobalt's full RGBM implementation (which kicks in when you take it past 150') is just fine for non-helium tech diving.

For the money get a petrel or a SeaBear h1,h3.

Interesting that you fail to note the Seabear computers are expensive newcomers without Shearwater's support reputation or the Petrel's proven track record.

the M1 ... lacks the ball swivel, and rotating turrets of other models.

The M1 first stage has a rotating turret.

I don't own any Atomic gear but certainly would not be hesitant to buy the reg or the Cobalt computer if I needed another reg or wanted a console computer. From what I see here on this board Atomic has some of the if not the best customer support going.

I don't dive tech and never will so the Trimix stuff doesn't interest me at all. I don't care for a console computer, I owned 2 of them a Veo 250 then a Cobra 3. I like AI because I like the electronic logging it allows for gas consumption. A person can comment that Atomic is not responsive to requests for additional support for Trimix and be correct. From what I can see shearwater is non responsive to the request for AI support so that takes the shearwater off the radar for me. Both provide excellent customer service, one is geared towards Tech and the other is geared towards rec when it comes to computers. If the Cobalt came out with a wrist version that was AI or shearwater were to do the same it would make it difficult to decide which one to choose based on customer service.

Yeah, because AA proactively determined that a handful of Cobalt 1s hadn't had the HP sensor connection tightened correctly. The only reason to bring it up without any elaboration is because either you're a deceptive weasel, or you're too clueless to have a relevant opinion. Moving on...
Is that why they were blowing apart? Air integration the problem perhaps? I beg your pardon that I am too clueless for an opinion, sounds like you sell atomic. In my opinion its not wise to spend $1300 on a computer that cant do trimix and doesn't have the proven record of the shearwater at around $800. Air integration is problematic and something divers get over after they dive enough. Lastly, I dove one of the first Shearwater Predators and went through about three of them working out bugs, in addition, I dove the Nerd long before it hit the market to evaluate it. I have personally owned four shearwaters. So I would offer I am quite capable of offering my opinion on computers. I will give you this, yes the M1 has a turret, I was thinking of the base model. As for the SeaBear I have one but haven't dived it yet to give a full report, so far I like it. I had no clue about the cost of the H3 because I didn't pay for it.
icosm14.gif
Lastly who dives to 200' without helium these days?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom