Thoughts after donning ones first wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is not unusual to not be able to zip up the back by yourself. It really depends upon the wetsuit. Some zip up easier than others and that's one of the tasks for the buddy. From your description though, the suit might be a little on the little side. Be sure the neck is not too tight.

I can zip up my Bare Velocity solo, but not the Bare Arctic. Both are the same size, but I think the stretchy material helps a bunch in the Velocity.

I can zip up my Bare Velocity solo, but not the Bare Arctic. Both are the same size, but I think the stretchy material helps a bunch in the Velocity.

OK< and I do believe that this Akona is maybe a BIT tighter than perfect, but I fear the next size up would be loose and would allow too much cold water in. I wore it in the Ocean for the first time this past Tues, I was toasty warm (except my bare hands and head) and in fact stayed pretty much completely dry. I was impressed all in all. I had my buddy zip it, but it was also the second time I had been in it and I was just proud I got it on all the way to he zip point solo.

The Velocity by design is a stretchiner suit.

I can zip my 7mm Arctic without stress. Sometimes the flap wants to catch in the zipper car and I need to back-up a bit bit that's a different issue.

That being said there is nothing wrong with asking a buddy to run the zipper up on a sut that has a safe fit. It fosters a good working relationship and the sort of behavior you want to encourage.

Pete

One of the biggest hurdles I had to face when I learned to dive was accepting help with stuff like this (wetsuit zipping). But it's a fact of life with diving -- Many people need help zipping wet or dry suits, or with other issues in gearing up. There have been a ton of times when I've been halfway through getting into my rig and realized I've got something stuck or tangled that I COULD fix by myself (usually involving getting back OUT of the rig, sorting it out, and having to get back into it again) but it's much easier just to call to somebody nearby and say, "Hey, can you see what's going on with my light cord?"

Scuba as a buddy sport starts well before you get in the water :)

Sleeve and ankle zippers would help a lot also. It makes getting your feet and fists in a little easier.

I enjoyed reading this post. It made me laugh and realize how silly I probably looked before I got my suit with long zippers in the arms and legs. My suit is easy as 123 to put on now.

Anyways thanks for the laugh and good luck with diving!

glad someone chuckled, that was really my goal. I was histericval laughing while putting it on, I had trouble getting it up to my shoulders, the second time i put it on was MUCH smoother that time I just needed a buddy to zip. TSandM I think you make a great point about buddying. THe fact is i am taking my class with this friend by design, he has been a rock climber for many years, a surfer, and is a fireman. He understand what it means to be able to rely on a friend and also I feel understands the responsibilty that goes along with such a sport, I trust him completely and thats why he will be such a good dive buddy.

I may try to put my suit on again today. Like I said I believe it to be just a little snug, but not bad. With a little practice it will be much easier I am sure. heck I have now worn a wetsuit twice in my life and both times were this week. :wink:

EDIT: Okay, since we are amongst friends (or at least friendlies) and since I got a laugh and am in a sharing mood. I will include the following pic. So I got into my suit for the first time and was so proud I took a couple silly pictures. I sent one to my brother who has been teaching himself Photoshop and got this back this morning from him..............

MrWC.jpg

For the record the TWC logo is a t shirt line I do with a friend.

It becomes easier with practice (but still lookes atleast equally silly).

My first thought when I wore a wetsuit for the first time was "atleast its gonna be easier go get off".. MAN was I wrong. Cold hands and generally being tired after hours of windsurfing in cold water didnt exactly help the situation..

Try the mix of conditioner and water or you can use baby shampoo and water. You will never believe how much easier it is to slip your suit on. Really. And if you pee in your suit, it cuts the stink !! I love that. I'm just saying, its freaking hot out. I'm drinking twice as much water than I normally do. Its inevitable and I just don't want to be the stinky girl.

I don't know how warm the surface temps are but, we've taken to getting about half our neoprene on and jumping in the lake to cool off. The heat this summer is really unbearable with a 7 mil Farmer Jane, 7 mil hooded shorty, 3 mil hooded vest, and 5 mil hood. Plus, its fun to float in the water with your buds. :)

PS THATS A GREAT PIC!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom