Thoughts about this flashlight pocket with retractor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've tried gimmicks like that before and I lost a number of lights and a few line cutters before I got it right.

You know what I found worked better than all of the other crap on the market was something I made myself. It was a wide velcro strap that could be attached to the outside of a BCD or around your leg or arm... whatever you want.... kind of looked like a blood-pressure cuff

I attached the other side of the velco to the light with tie wraps. Slap the light on the velcro and it stuck perfectly. Never lost one.

That said, at the time drysuits didn't normally have pockets and I was experimenting with anything I could think of to streamline my gear.... These days a solution like that would seem very odd indeed.

R..

Jerry,

If possible I would rig it up as Tbone originally suggested and save your money. I have mine rigged like that with a slight modification because my activities present a significant possibility of dropping and losing my light under a ledge in a plume of sand.

So I just added a $4 coil lanyard from Piranha Dive MFG. Lanyard Black Coiled w/ SS split rings

I tied a bolt snap to the light with some cave line and a bungee loop through my shoulder strap to keep the light head in place. Loop the coil lanyard around the back of the head and everything stays put. I can let go of it if need be and know I won't lose my light.

image.jpg

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback very much.

CuzzA, you slip the light into the bungee from the bottom?

Also, this is my BCD, the version with the weight pockets: LINK

Thanks gentlemen. So, hold the flashlight with no lanyard or other connection while in use? I'd hate to drop a $200 tool while diving a wall in deeper water...
I really like my retractor.

I really like my retractor.

Same here. Been using the same one going on 4 years now without a problem.

I just used a loop of bungee cord small enough to fit around my wrist through hole on end of light and added a bolt snap. Works for me. YMMV

"So, hold the flashlight with no lanyard or other connection while in use?"
Wrist loop. Take the flashlight out of the pocket (or when doing a night dive, out of the gear bag pre-dive) and put your wrist through the strap. Which can be paracord, or light webbing, or paracord through some surgical tubing. Optional to have a slider on it, which can be tightened up so it can't just slide back over your hand by accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom