Thoughts about this flashlight pocket with retractor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J322Y

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm trying to figure out how to carry all of my gear and found this flashlight pocket with retractor. I have a little room on my belt and this would fit my Gobe 850.

What do you all think?

I just got a strap on thigh pocket.

Thanks,
Jerry

+1 for what tbone said. Don't get a retractor. In case you're not familiar with bolt snaps, it has a clip on each one, one clips the flashlight, the other clips onto a D-ring on your BC. See here:

DGX S/S Double-Eye {3.5 in | 9 cm} Small Sliding Bolt Snap

Depending on your light, you might need a split ring on the light to attach the bolt snap. It's very easy to hold the light in your hand, and then just clip it off when you don't need it.

+1 for what tbone said. Don't get a retractor. In case you're not familiar with bolt snaps, it has a clip on each one, one clips the flashlight, the other clips onto a D-ring on your BC. See here:

DGX S/S Double-Eye {3.5 in | 9 cm} Small Sliding Bolt Snap

Depending on your light, you might need a split ring on the light to attach the bolt snap. It's very easy to hold the light in your hand, and then just clip it off when you don't need it.

going to have to disagree with that on the key ring and double ended.
do this
How to Attach a Snap | Dive Gear Express®

@tbone1004, just curious why no split ring? Is it the no metal-to-metal connection issue? If so, with a firm grasp on my light, I can actually pull apart the small split ring from DGX. The big one, not so much.

@tbone1004, just curious why no split ring? Is it the no metal-to-metal connection issue? If so, with a firm grasp on my light, I can actually pull apart the small split ring from DGX. The big one, not so much.

large split rings allow too much flex and wobble between the light and bolt snap as well as a metal to metal issue
small ones aren't strong enough imo if you can pull them apart.

I see no benefit to the rings over cave line

I agree on the big split rings. I've never had a problem with the small rings. I find them plenty robust to hold the light. I appreciate the thoughts though.

Back to the OP though, keep it simple. A retractor is just added complexity with no benefit.

Thanks gentlemen. So, hold the flashlight with no lanyard or other connection while in use? I'd hate to drop a $200 tool while diving a wall in deeper water...

I've got mine on a bolt strap and I added a bungie. I take it off my D ring, slip my hand through the bungie so just in case.... Maybe another choice in flashlight? Also, I first used a retractor on my light, it was weird having it constantly pulling. Just sayin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom