Thoughts about lionfish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After not seeing any off the beach for so long, I quit carrying my pole spear. End of June I saw a nice sized one on the Yellow Brick Road in Hollywood. Other divers got it. Then this past week I saw a 5" one off Greene Street, very shallow, and a couple off S. Hollywood in 20 fsw of less than 6". Need to start carrying the spear again.

Sneaky (unionized) bastards!

I saw a very little one the other day on the Yellow Brick Road. Dang, didn't even have my knife.. but I have scissors! Yep, I scissored it! Almost.. got some fin..

I saw one on about 30' off Ft Lauderdale. First and last one I've seen. That was forth of July.

I saw one on about 30' off Ft Lauderdale. First and last one I've seen. That was forth of July.

But I'll bet you've seen some indigo hamlets lately!

IMG_1304.jpg mmm, lionfish

I think that do like a lot of people in southern Florida. They move north for the summer to get away from all the humidity and mosquito bites.

WAY up north about 12 miles offshore from Panama City, there were about 15 lionfish loitering around a couple of 16 lb gag grouper. I went for the gags, so there are a bunch of lion fish still there if you want them.

Last edited:
I got an education back in late June. The current was chilly (68ish) but we saw at least 30 or more on the Lowrance...mildly deepish wreck. The more experienced hunters in the crowd explained to me that the current was a recent influx and the lionfish were most likely concententrated because of the structure, but even more importantly that the wreck still retained heat. I still learn something new on just about every dive

........and Jenny...what would you have done with two pairs of scissors?

I got an education back in late June. The current was chilly (68ish) but we saw at least 30 or more on the Lowrance...mildly deepish wreck. The more experienced hunters in the crowd explained to me that the current was a recent influx and the lionfish were most likely concententrated because of the structure, but even more importantly that the wreck still retained heat. I still learn something new on just about every dive

........and Jenny...what would you have done with two pairs of scissors?

Well, I almost impaled one on a discarded snorkel in Roatan ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom