Those things in your dive bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lulubelle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Last weekend, a diver missed the anchor line and got pulled away from his boat in the current. From what I understand, the operator and one other boat searched for him and found him after about an hour, about the same time the CG folks showed up. The man had an SMB, which was in his DIVE BAG ON THE BOAT!

People, please, your whistles, mirrors, SMBs, reels, ARE SUPPOSED TO GO INTO THE WATER WITH YOU.

:shakehead:

And you should be comfortable operating them.....
My personal rigging of bags is a Jersey upline,ready to deploy and bungeed to my tanks, another liftbag under my butt, and for ocean diving a safety sausage, whistle/noise device, and a mirror. All of that can be placed in positions that will not get in your way, but are accessible in the event you need them. Just my opinion...

I have a set of boat-diving equipment that gets put in my pockets before I leave for the dive: SMB, mirror, and DiveAlert.

I have had pockets put on for all the crap I carry. It may seems like crap to the others that make fun of me, But it may save my life one day. I always say, Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

I knew a couple who did that on Bonaire. The boat finally found them and their S-Sausages were still in their bags on boat.

I always have my spearfishing popper float (CO2 or oral inflation lift bag/signal device), reel on my speargun, flashlight on my speargun, mirror, whistle, dye marker, and compass with me on SCUBA or freediving.

Last edited:
I have a set of boat-diving equipment that gets put in my pockets before I leave for the dive: SMB, mirror, and DiveAlert.

Which DiveAlert would be better, the surface alert or the scubalert? Do you keep it separate, and attach it only if needed, or do you leave it attached? Been on the fence about getting one, thinking that my whistle would suffice on the surface.

The only time I don't bring any of this stuff is when I'm in the pool. Boat dives, shore dives, reefs or wrecks, I always bring an SMB, reel, at least one light, whistle, and a mirror. Trying to think of a way to make home-made dye. (they charge the equivalent of $20 here for the OMS stuff).

Which DiveAlert would be better, the surface alert or the scubalert? Do you keep it separate, and attach it only if needed, or do you leave it attached? Been on the fence about getting one, thinking that my whistle would suffice on the surface.
I do not want to unhook my inflator hose to attach a DiveAlert in the water, and risk dropping it. Mine is always on my main reg.

I never tested the audible distance on my DA compared to my Storm Whistle, but only the DA hurts my ears if I don't duck my head in the water. I still carry my SW in case of OOA on surface.

My bud got one that works underwater too, if he switches it correctly. He tried short beeps on me = fail. If you're going to use one, use long beeps - and it'd better be damned important to disturb the underwater peace. :D

heck, I ALWAYS...ALWAYS......did I mention ALWAYS ?? !! have all those signaling type noisemakers/SMBs (2)/lights/knife/line cutter on my BC at ALL times....I'm even talking POOL dives ! That way, I'm not in danger of forgetting anything....complacency kills!

Sounds about right------you think that diver learned something??--lol, probably not....

Back
Top Bottom