This is really making me angry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never seen so many get so upset cause we're at the top for the food chair.
Do you guys get made at the whale when they eat the seals and the fish.
Myself, I'm glad I'm at the top of the food chain.

fgray1:

It's not simply the food chain for everyone. Some would think cannibalism is acceptable, most would not.

Some find killing whales abhorrent, some do not.

Some find religion ridiculous, so find it to be absolute truths.

The only absolute here is the stupidity of those dismissing the arguements of others in this thread as idiotic or arrogant. A subjective subject is just that.

I find whaling abhorrent, and would do what I can within reason to stop it.

I think cetaceans have more intellect and self awareness than a cow or a chicken, and I think the ways in which whales are killed to be particularly primative and brutal.

Americans at one time slaughter bison, owned slaves, murdered indians, etc. but that does not forever prevent us from objectiving to behavior overseas when we disagree.

Charlie99:
Nah. Finally around that point we'd finally recognize petroleum as the valuable source of organic compounds that it is, and use it an the feedstock for synthetic food. Energy would, of course, come from non-polluting sources such as nuclear energy (well, there is thermal pollution, but entropy is always going to win the long run).

..... let's see now, any other "sacred cows" hanging around that I can BBQ :banana:

nuclear energy is non-polluting? Wow, I guess they can seal yuca mountain then.

I think cetaceans have more intellect and self awareness than a cow or a chicken, and I think the ways in which whales are killed to be particularly primative and brutal.

If they're so smart,
Then why haven't they figured out how not to get beached?

fgray1:
"I think cetaceans have more intellect and self awareness than a cow or a chicken, and I think the ways in which whales are killed to be particularly primative and brutal."

If they're so smart,

Have you ever gotten into a car acccident?

Have you ever caught a virus?

Have you ever had your brainpan scrambled by a naval sonar blast?

Why don't you tell us why they beach themselves?

BigJetDriver69:
You are quite correct. So, I guess that makes the continued slaughter perfectly acceptable.

No, it means that our criticisms need to be considered in view of our own "sins." We "Americans" have no moral high ground here.

fgray1:
If they're so smart,

Is this post for real?

fgray1:

As an internationally published research ecologist, let me suggest something about food chains that perhaps you have not considered.

We may be at the top of the food chain, but the top of every food chain needs some form of control. Disease and predators have largely been knocked out, so our controls are not from "the top." Given over-population and excessive depletion of many of our resource bases, control of this top predator species may well come from another mechanism- lack of food.

That is, unless we have the wisdom to use our "highly evolved brains" and exercise some self-control.

stoddu:
Kim,
Read the David Suzuki article that is linked at the bottom of the article. The demand for whale in Japan is declining. In 2002, the Japanese gov't was giving away whale blubber ice cream to try to get the citizens to develop a taste for it. Why increase the number of whales taken when the demand is declining? Why try to increase demand for such a controversial food source?

I suspect, as I said before, whale meat is just by product of the industry as other parts of whales such as whale oil is a highly prized commodity. My impression is that once those parts are extracted, they are left with lots of meat that would go to waste otherwise. Why not consume them? I still believe that if whaling is to be stopped, it is not condeming eating whale that is the key but to stop utilizing whale in other indusries, that will be the key.
I think it is probably even more horrible to see that for the same numbers of whales being kill, 90% of carcass are thrown back into the sea rather than the 90% of the carcass are being consumed as food. If someone knows otherwise that whaling is practiced primarily only as food, I certainly would like to be corrected.

By the way, I think that killing is killing, just because a whale is more intelligent than a cow is not an excuse (especially since officially minske whale number is on the rise and is not considered endangered, supposedly). Morally and legally, killing someone who is mentally retarded with IQ of 30 is no less a crime than killing a genious with IQ 200. We make our own choice of what is acceptable to eat and we have to live with the choice and consequences. I don't consider shooting a cow, electrocute a cow or in certain religious practice, bleeding the cow to death exactly a humane way of killing either (certainly not the way I would want to go).

ssra30:
I suspect, as I said before, whale meat is just by product of the industry as other parts of whales such as whale oil is a highly prized commodity. My impression is that once those parts are extracted, they are left with lots of meat that would go to waste otherwise. Why not consume them? I still believe that if whaling is to be stopped, it is not condeming eating whale that is the key but to stop utilizing whale in other indusries, that will be the key.
I think it is probably even more horrible to see that for the same numbers of whales being kill, 90% of carcass are thrown back into the sea rather than the 90% of the carcass are being consumed as food. If someone knows otherwise that whaling is practiced primarily only as food, I certainly would like to be corrected.

By the way, I think that killing is killing, just because a whale is more intelligent than a cow is not an excuse (especially since officially minske whale number is on the rise and is not considered endangered, supposedly). Morally and legally, killing someone who is mentally retarded with IQ of 30 is no less a crime than killing a genious with IQ 200. We make our own choice of what is acceptable to eat and we have to live with the choice and consequences. I don't consider shooting a cow, electrocute a cow or in certain religious practice, bleeding the cow to death exactly a humane way of killing either (certainly not the way I would want to go).

To continue that logic to the absurd level then, to kill a whale, or maybe to kill a person, is no worse than stepping on an ant?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom