This is really making me angry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
There's a difference between wasteful cruelty and efficient consumption.

Ah, you must be speaking about hunting! btw i was not aware that shark fin soup was considered an aphrodisiac by asian males. When i was in hong kong it was served to both genders and people seemed to be eating it because it tasted good. I am not trying to condone the slaughter of sharks just for their fins, stranger things have been done, i seem to recall a bird extincrnment ion because of fashion in women's hats. I guess here we find a role for government that both sides can buy into. Bill

ssra30:
...male asian eating sharkfin for sex drive is pretty much a myth....
...for majority of people, they eat sharkfin because in part, it is a display of wealth, not unlike caviar. Whether they like the taste or not...

The Asians would like to challenge that as a "myth", but it is one reason that Asian males eat Shark-fin Soup.

Unfortunately, I forgot to mention, as you aptly pointed out, that some eat it in a vulgar display of flaunting one's "wealth".

Let's not forget that in our early days, American whalers were extremely effective in reducing the numbers of several species of whales, not to mention other marine mammals like sea otters and elephant seals. What were they used for? In the case of the whales and seals, largely to render the blubber into oil for lamps, lubrication, etc. At least the Japanese are utilizing most of the animal.

drbill:
Let's not forget that in our early days, American whalers were extremely effective in reducing the numbers of several species of whales, not to mention other marine mammals like sea otters and elephant seals. What were they used for? In the case of the whales and seals, largely to render the blubber into oil for lamps, lubrication, etc. At least the Japanese are utilizing most of the animal.

You are quite correct. So, I guess that makes the continued slaughter perfectly acceptable.

Charlie99:
Does the killing and eating of minke whales upset you more than the killing and eating of fish, cows, or chickens?
If so, why?

1. Whales appear to be self aware, unlike a chicken, cow, or even a dog.

2. Chickens and Cows are farmed.

3. Cows and Chickens are rarely harpooned with explossives then dragged around the meadow.

The Japanese are also pretty good at detroyed fish stocks. I hope their kids enjoy eating my poop.

BigJetDriver69:
You are quite correct. So, I guess that makes the continued slaughter perfectly acceptable.

I think so. Bring on the whale-burgers. I'd try some if it were offered to me.

I eat cows, I eat sheep. I eat trout, I wear leather, and I drive a motorized vehicle. And I STILL consider myself an environmentalist.

Why? Because I use my brain, and rational thought, to determine the best choices for the environment around us. I don't rely on vitriole or retoric, or visceral reactionary thinking. I make sound choices.

Based on those choices, I would support the Japanese or Norwegians. The reasons have been outlined ad nauseum in this thread and in countless other threads before that - but some people here choose to fly off the handle and accuse those who disagree with them of arrogance, ignorance or both.

Me - I say bon appetit.

BigJetDriver69:

Hey big jet you are at your mda i would not descend any further! punch the up button.

Boogie711:
Based on those choices, I would support the Japanese or Norwegians. The reasons have been outlined ad nauseum in this thread and in countless other threads before that - but some people here choose to fly off the handle and accuse those who disagree with them of arrogance, ignorance or both.

Me - I say bon appetit.

I find it odd that I was lumped into either category (pro/anti) as I was merely responding to the commonly employed tactic of citing 'cultural differences' to rationalize decisions. I believe 'real' scientific evidence (as opposed to the vast quantity of pseudo-science) should be the concern here.

Sean

Boogie711:
I think so. Bring on the whale-burgers. I'd try some if it were offered to me.

I eat cows, I eat sheep. I eat trout, I wear leather, and I drive a motorized vehicle. And I STILL consider myself an environmentalist.

Why? Because I use my brain, and rational thought, to determine the best choices for the environment around us. I don't rely on vitriole or retoric, or visceral reactionary thinking. I make sound choices.

Me - I say bon appetit.

Truly amazing. So after we've knocked off the whales, the sharks, and the fish, what's next? Boogie-burgers? I guess, though, that it would be culturally OK.

P.S.--Forget ocean diving, there won't be anything to look at!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom