This is criminal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
...there are too many companies out there who profess to offer "commercial diving services". Many of these charlatans do not abide the O.S.H.A. regs. for commercial diving ops.; their personnel are not properly trained, they do not use the proper equipment & they hire unqualified individuals to "work" underwater.

Yet another tragic example:

www.cdnn.info/news/safety/s050727a.html

If you are aware of or are suspect of such activities - report them! You might save another "kid" from a similar fate.

D.S.D.

Actually I think the dive industry itself should also take a little responsibility.

It pushes diving as a fun and exciting sport and while it certainly is a fun and exciting sport... it is also dangerous and you can die...just that simple. Diving is being pushed down to kids that can barely form sentences. I personally consider that unbelievable.

So, to read about a youngster who learned to dive then died in a situation he should have never been in???? I think there is enough blame to go around in many places.

Probably not a popular opinion...
rich

I know that government oversight is seen as the big enemy in this industry, but on the other hand, the more I look at it the less I feel that dive agencies can police itself. Some other independent oversight needs to be considered. For the most part dive training has been dumbed down to the lowest denominater that it is a wonder more people do not get killed.

novicediver:
I know that government oversight is seen as the big enemy in this industry, but on the other hand, the more I look at it the less I feel that dive agencies can police itself. Some other independent oversight needs to be considered. For the most part dive training has been dumbed down to the lowest denominater that it is a wonder more people do not get killed.

I agree that something needs to change but as for government oversight? Can't really say I agree that that would make anything better. We have the DMV and people need to pass both a written and practical exam to obtain a license but every day that I get behind the wheel I am reminded that the system dosent work. Wish I had an answer, but I don't. Just my opinion.

Ken

In the USA OSHA and the Coast Guard regulate commercial diving.
Unfortunately many companies do not know or ignore the regulations.

I think they need to put in place a way to go after the company having the work done when they use contractors who do not follow the rules.

Maybe educating the insurance companies on the rules and potential liability when the rules are not followed would do more. Companies that are not afraid of OSHA still take notice when the insurance company speaks.

novicediver:

trust me, you dont want big brother involved in this... if they had their way ALL cave,wreck penetration, deco, deep diving would be illegal. you really don't want that....pressure on the certifying agencies by divers is the best solution...

ScubaSixString:
trust me, you dont want big brother involved in this... if they had their way ALL cave,wreck penetration, deco, deep diving would be illegal. you really don't want that....pressure on the certifying agencies by divers is the best solution...

The post was referring to OSHA and commercial diving, NOT recreational diving. The rules/laws are already on the books, and some ops refuse to follow them or just ignore them. And the agencies are only involved in training. The companies who hire "commercial" divers are the ones at fault here, and in this case it appears they didn't follow the rules.
Oh, and OSHA doesn't ban deep or deco diving, but they do require a chamber on site for dives deeper than 100 ft, and the rules are very different from recreational diving.

I agree with pipedope. Money is a big incentive for a company, and offering deep insurance discounts for compliance and periodic spot inspections would probably work wonders.

I failed to understand what Disney did that created an unsafe situation for the 16-yr-old. Whereas I terribly regret Alan got hurt doing an activity that I so love, accidents do happen, even with the most experienced divers, with the most trustworthy equipment, in the most senere of waters. I agree more rigorous training ought to be mandatory, but it will never ever eliminate fate. Dive is a very dangerous activity, not unlike motorcycles, ski diving, skiing, etc. My prayers are with Alan and his family.

VMarcHart:
I failed to understand what Disney did that created an unsafe situation for the 16-yr-old. Whereas I terribly regret Alan got hurt doing an activity that I so love, accidents do happen, even with the most experienced divers, with the most trustworthy equipment, in the most senere of waters. I agree more rigorous training ought to be mandatory, but it will never ever eliminate fate. Dive is a very dangerous activity, not unlike motorcycles, ski diving, skiing, etc. My prayers are with Alan and his family.

...if a business wants to get into the COMMERCIAL diving market, they must play by the rules. For commercial diving, the rules are much different than those of the recreational community. Minimum standards dictate the number of personnel required on scene, the level of diver training required ( COMMERCIAL diver training ), minimum equipment, gas supply, surface support needs, etc., etc.

Legitimate commercial diving contractors invest big money in preparing to do u/w work & they get really p.o'd when some fly-by-night shyster happens along with two sets of scuba gear & wet-behind-the-ears child-divers, then undercuts the bidding process to the point of ludicrousness. To say nothing of risking the safety of undoubtedly very naive diver-kids.

Disney is on the hook because they should be aware of whom can legitimately bid on what type of work, & allow only qualified contractors to bid for the job. If, in fact, they tried to go the cheap route here, they will likely pay dearly for the oversight.

Regards,
D.S.D.

VMarcHart:
I failed to understand what Disney did that created an unsafe situation for the 16-yr-old.
FYI, although the Dolphin and Swan are inside the WDW resort complex, as a point of fact they are owned by Starwood not Disney. Not that it helps the kid any, but its always worthwhile IMO to place blame where blame is due.

Also, the hotel is in Lake Buena Vista not the Keys. It doesn't surprise me in the least that CDNN would get key information like this wrong in one of their "stories".

Back
Top Bottom