This dive was a 10+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silverback:
what kind of camera and housing are you using.
That's all...

I cant remember what model of camera he was using but it was digital in a Ikelite housing with no strobes

Tom R:
www.gateshousings.com I'm not sure if they have the digital stills ready to go yet.

Thanks Tom,

Just checked out the site and they look like serious housings, Nothing for the digital camera yet though. Looks like Ikelite is going to be the best bang for my buck.

Silverback:
OK, I know I'm coming in here a little late, but come on... I've used and serviced both Scubapro and Apex. Don't really like the Scubapro regs, but that's personal preference. To each is own I say... I use Apex first stages on my deco bottles, but for back gas... Poseidon's are the better for hose routing and performance. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one of the new XStreems.

An the metal body cyclone that's being used is better for cold water due to the heat pull from ones breath to prevent issues.

I'm sure this has all been said before. I've just not read it yet...

Blanket comments like that just twist my shorts...

Dave

I am not sure what is twisting your shorts. I called it correctly. Joe admits to having what we laymen call upstream valves that close down on failure. Please give us some technical input to clarify the any errors in my comments. They would be more then welcome. We are also recommended to dive with regs where we can access the secondary diaphragm in order to clear any debris during a dive.

Groundhog246:
If you haven't taken one, I'd highly recommend an equipment course (not the service your own reg level). It helps you deal with the smaller issues that can be resolved easily on site with a modest save a dive kit and teaches you much more about the inner workings of a reg.
I've had this discussion (upstream/downstream) with a "tech" diver. You're correct that an "upstream" reg will fail closed and cut off gas. The particular diver I discussed this with chose them FOR that reason. Diving them with doubles, your "safe second" is on a second 1st stage on the second post. So a failure of your "primary" in no way affects your backup. The "advantage" is you don't loose your gas, it's still available on the backup and if you're in an "overhead" environment, not loosing gas is a plus (his opinion). You can take a minute or two and shut down the failed reg and see if it clears, if so continue, if not end of dive. He WOULD NOT dive an upstream reg on a single tank setup.

Thanks GH

I take care of all the minor dealing with my DS4's and mk20's.
I still hand my regs over to Kevin for annual servicing

JamesP:
Mike

It is the upstream valve in the Poseidon 1st stage that closes which in turn restricts the follow of gas. My understanding of this is that the seat is up stream and pushes closed when/if the IP creeps up too high. Downstream valves push open when/if the IP creeps up too high. I would prefer a more detailed explanation be posted by one of the reg techs. I am not a trained reg tech. But this is the understanding I have from the techs I have talked to.

Take care

The issue is that if the HP seat in the first stage fails causing an IP increase then the upstream valve in the second stage will be held shut. For this reason there is a overpressure valve. This only stops you from getting blasted in the face while you shut the post down and switch regs. LOL

JamesP:
Dave

I am not sure what is twisting your shorts. I called it correctly. Joe admits to having what we laymen call upstream valves that close down on failure. Please give us some technical input to clarify the any errors in my comments. They would be more then welcome. We are also recommended to dive with regs where we can access the secondary diaphragm in order to clear any debris during a dive.

But here is my point. You can't just say that it closes on failure and that that's bad. It will close in the case of a leaking HP seat. If that happens on a dive you're done using that reg anyway and the next step is to save your gas and switch to another reg.

What do these second stages do in the case of a frozen second stage? open or closed? I don't know but with most regs this is probably the most common failure.

My guess as to the next most common would probably be foreign material in the second stage and in that case any reg can jam closed.

I asume your all using cave procedures, but I have to ask.

Where is your line?

I see a reel cliped off to a tank, but I don't see any line deployed.

JimC:
I asume your all using cave procedures, but I have to ask.

Where is your line?

I see a reel cliped off to a tank, but I don't see any line deployed.

Ive explained the situation many times ill give you the short version

No current, Excellent Viz, Run a line to where ???? we drop in the water right over the plane and its about 25ft there is no use in running a line to the hole its always above us and always in sight

Just to be correct (have a line to open water) I would run a line from the hole to the plane. We run lines through cavern zones even where there's 150 ft vis.

For those who haven't dived this way I'll add though that you can't count on having good vis through the whole dive no matter how good it is. You need to have a safety reel/spool and know how to use it. If that's not the case then you should have a teather like most ice divers use.

MikeFerrara:
The issue is that if the HP seat in the first stage fails causing an IP increase then the upstream valve in the second stage will be held shut. For this reason there is a overpressure valve. This only stops you from getting blasted in the face while you shut the post down and switch regs. LOL

LOL back to you. I have been on a dive where the dude's Poseidon’s did fail. There was just about nothing there to breathe. There was no way he could get to his gas. This is a real life example. The regs were nothing but a liability on the dive and we do not use them for that reason. If you have something constructive to add please do, but shelf your Sinicism. It does not wash will me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom