This dive was a 10+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teamplayer:
dudes,

I am having a little problem following the lingo and the logic:

rb = rebreather, how do you buddy breath with rb's?

Only the Semi closed system allows.

bo = bail out bottle, is this the same as a pony?

a Pony is a small horse, :wink:

A upstream reg does not freeflow, a downstream does( not sure what upstream/downstream really means) but why isn't a reg that doesn't freeflow good? Or does this happen in the 1st stage and your back up reg stops as well?

If the reg malfunctions it will not deliver any air, not normally a problem if you have a backup system, or your buddy is close(a even greater backup)

MikeFerrara:
I asked if we were talking about 1st or second stages because diaphragm 1st stages (like Apeks) are usually upstream valves.

Mike

It is the upstream valve in the Poseidon 1st stage that closes which in turn restricts the follow of gas. My understanding of this is that the seat is up stream and pushes closed when/if the IP creeps up too high. Downstream valves push open when/if the IP creeps up too high. I would prefer a more detailed explanation be posted by one of the reg techs. I am not a trained reg tech. But this is the understanding I have from the techs I have talked to.

Take care

JamesP:
Third: One of the OC divers appears to be using upstream valves. If the regulator malfunctions then access to gas are restricted or removed completely. The only option for safe diving is down stream valves and the divers I know that have had upstream valves fail will tell you no different.

OK, I know I'm coming in here a little late, but come on... I've used and serviced both Scubapro and Apex. Don't really like the Scubapro regs, but that's personal preference. To each is own I say... I use Apex first stages on my deco bottles, but for back gas... Poseidon's are the better for hose routing and performance. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one of the new XStreems.

An the metal body cyclone that's being used is better for cold water due to the heat pull from ones breath to prevent issues.

I'm sure this has all been said before. I've just not read it yet...

Blanket comments like that just twist my shorts...

Silverback:
OK, I know I'm coming in here a little late, but come on... I've used and serviced both Scubapro and Apex. Don't really like the Scubapro regs, but that's personal preference. To each is own I say... I use Apex first stages on my deco bottles, but for back gas... Poseidon's are the better for hose routing and performance. In fact, I'm thinking of getting one of the new XStreems.

An the metal body cyclone that's being used is better for cold water due to the heat pull from ones breath to prevent issues.

I'm sure this has all been said before. I've just not read it yet...

Blanket comments like that just twist my shorts...

not being a reg tech but, Isn't a Cyclone an upstream reg?

JamesP:
You don't know what the 's*****' word is, both you and DS used it.

I fixed your picture for you. I wanted to post it as my avatar but I need 50 plus dives to do so.

Hey thats pretty good...

I knew what the S word was, I was just surprised to hear that you guys didn't us it. I thought that's where it originated from.

Have a great weekend and if you get out for a dive...have a good one

Tom R:
not being a reg tech but, Isn't a Cyclone an upstream reg?

I'm not stating that it isn't... I'm just pointing out that a metal body second stage does have benifits over a blastic body one. And also that Apex regs, which seem to be the reg of choice for the DIR folks, isn't the only high performance reg out there.

Oh and I did want to mention that those were great photo's and ask, what kind of camera and housing are you using. Reason being is I'm looking getting a housing form my coolpix 5000.

That's all...

Silverback:
I'm not stating that it isn't... I'm just pointing out that a metal body second stage does have benifits over a blastic body one. And also that Apex regs, which seem to be the reg of choice for the DIR folks, isn't the only high performance reg out there.

Oh and I did want to mention that those were great photo's and ask, what kind of camera and housing are you using. Reason being is I'm looking getting a housing form my coolpix 5000.

That's all...

Metal body regs are very hard to come by these days, Ikelite and Gates make great housing for the coolpix series

The Apex is only one of a few the DIR crowd likes.

Tom R:
Metal body regs are very hard to come by these days, Ikelite and Gates make great housing for the coolpix series

The Apex is only one of a few the DIR crowd likes.

Yes they are... the ones that have them seem to keep them. And, I'm glad to here that Apex is NOT the only reg of choice. :clapping:

Gates??? Do you happen to know their web site so that I can have a look at them. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite housing, but I'm always willing to look at some of the others.

JamesP:
Mike

It is the upstream valve in the Poseidon 1st stage that closes which in turn restricts the follow of gas. My understanding of this is that the seat is up stream and pushes closed when/if the IP creeps up too high. Downstream valves push open when/if the IP creeps up too high. I would prefer a more detailed explanation be posted by one of the reg techs. I am not a trained reg tech. But this is the understanding I have from the techs I have talked to.

Take care
If you haven't taken one, I'd highly recommend an equipment course (not the service your own reg level). It helps you deal with the smaller issues that can be resolved easily on site with a modest save a dive kit and teaches you much more about the inner workings of a reg.
I've had this discussion (upstream/downstream) with a "tech" diver. You're correct that an "upstream" reg will fail closed and cut off gas. The particular diver I discussed this with chose them FOR that reason. Diving them with doubles, your "safe second" is on a second 1st stage on the second post. So a failure of your "primary" in no way affects your backup. The "advantage" is you don't loose your gas, it's still available on the backup and if you're in an "overhead" environment, not loosing gas is a plus (his opinion). You can take a minute or two and shut down the failed reg and see if it clears, if so continue, if not end of dive. He WOULD NOT dive an upstream reg on a single tank setup.

Silverback:
Yes they are... the ones that have them seem to keep them. And, I'm glad to here that Apex is NOT the only reg of choice. :clapping:

Gates??? Do you happen to know their web site so that I can have a look at them. I'm leaning towards the Ikelite housing, but I'm always willing to look at some of the others.

www.gateshousings.com I'm not sure if they have the digital stills ready to go yet.

Back
Top Bottom