This dive was a 10+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Joe:
James... 1. The RB boys had BO Jugs. 2. They are in motion coming over the ledge in front of the plane. Thats me on the OC and on my knees sorting out my reel... Note there is no silt. I hesitated putting it online..but just like when I was there at the time...I said WTF and DI my way.
3. When an upsteam goes TU...you don't lose any BG. I know you realize this. Yes I can reach my valves

Thanks for your comments and concerns they are all valid concerns and I dont doubt for a moment that you are a very safe and knowledgeable diver. Im happy to listen to your advice and recommendations... Just request that you don't take offence if we dont always adhere to it.

Joe

Bailout gas belongs with the diver. It should not be hanging off a ledge. I can appreciate the thinking behind upstream valves, but the gas doesn't do any good if you cannot get to it. I will gladly take the freeflow and the breath of air that comes with it, while I am getting gas from another source.

I do not take offence. I posted in the hope of discussion. In return please don't take offence, if we decline to dive at times for what we see as safety concerns.

FYI, we do not use the ‘S****’ word, only you folks do :wink:

No problem James...

I didn't know that about the S word... Well we got to have a sense of humour too.
All the best to you... Oh and the only way to be 100% safe is to not dive period. There will always be risk involved and unfortunately even the safest of divers can find themselves in nasty situations... I had a couple of Navy buddies get sucked into A destroyers Sea Water intake... And believe me....the Navy is pretty anal with Dive Safety and as I said...We still loose Divers from time to time. Stuff happens...
Please feel free to pass along any safety concerns that you may have...who knows maybe you will be saving my life sometime... Might be hard to swallow...but you never know who may be saving yours sometime. Cheers safe and happy dives

Diver Joe:
No problem James...

I didn't know that about the S word... Well we got to have a sense of humour too.

You don't know what the 's*****' word is, both you and DS used it.

I fixed your picture for you. I wanted to post it as my avatar but I need 50 plus dives to do so.

Alright i edited this post after talking to James I thought he was taking my "S....." comment seriously and i didnt want him or TOM R to get offended by this thread or the comments being posted

dude

Sorry if I have upset you. That was not my intention. I was just bantering in good humour as that is what I took Diver Joe as doing. Please PM me if there is something going on here that I am unaware of. Please except my apologies if I have offended you.

dudes,

I am having a little problem following the lingo and the logic:

rb = rebreather, how do you buddy breath with rb's?
bo = bail out bottle, is this the same as a pony?

A upstream reg does not freeflow, a downstream does( not sure what upstream/downstream really means) but why isn't a reg that doesn't freeflow good? Or does this happen in the 1st stage and your back up reg stops as well?

what is a stokey diver, is that the same as a s****** diver , I think there is a joke I am not getting?

please keep the debate going, I am (trying) learning lots.

JamesP:
so?

That does not make it right.

BTW, are we talking about the first stage or the second stage?

Do you have some evidence that those regs are less safe? I'd be interested. Specifically what failure mode will prevent those regs from delivering air? Even if that could/did happen the guy was wearing doubles wasn't he? The first response to a reg problem would be to shut down that post any way. What would bew the difference in the outcome of the dive?

MikeFerrara:
BTW, are we talking about the first stage or the second stage?

Do you have some evidence that those regs are less safe? I'd be interested. Specifically what failure mode will prevent those regs from delivering air? Even if that could/did happen the guy was wearing doubles wasn't he? The first response to a reg problem would be to shut down that post any way. What would bew the difference in the outcome of the dive?

For someone who appears to know so much about Poseidens you certianly have a lot of questions. I was just throwing darts when I mentioned upsteam valves. The ones seen clearly in the pic actually look like Cyclones; a particular model that I believe has downstream valves. Therefore it would appear that the manufacturer now has some reservations regarding upstream valves. I will the leave any farther details to one of the reg tech dudes.

BTW you were quite rude with snuggles. I think you owe an apology there.

teamplayer:
dudes,

I am having a little problem following the lingo and the logic:

rb = rebreather, how do you buddy breath with rb's?
bo = bail out bottle, is this the same as a pony?

A upstream reg does not freeflow, a downstream does( not sure what upstream/downstream really means) but why isn't a reg that doesn't freeflow good? Or does this happen in the 1st stage and your back up reg stops as well?

what is a stokey diver, is that the same as a s****** diver , I think there is a joke I am not getting?

please keep the debate going, I am (trying) learning lots.

All good questions teamplayer. I will leave them to other to answer. Hopefully this will encourage some constructive input into the discussion.

JamesP:
For someone who appears to know so much about Poseidens you certianly have a lot of questions. I was just throwing darts when I mentioned upsteam valves. The ones seen clearly in the pic actually look like Cyclones; a particular model that I believe has downstream valves. Therefore it would appear that the manufacturer now has some reservations regarding upstream valves. I will the leave any farther details to one of the reg tech dudes.

BTW you were quite rude with snuggles. I think you owe an apology there.

I asked if we were talking about 1st or second stages because diaphragm 1st stages (like Apeks) are usually upstream valves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom