"THIRTEEN LIVES" MOVIE REVIEW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The short version is . . . WOW!!!

A fabulously well-crafted and gripping interpretation of the 2018 harrowing rescue of the 12 Thai boys and their soccer coach from a flooded cave where they were trapped. From a movie-making standpoint, it can be hard to keep an audience engrossed in a film when they already know the ending. But director Ron Howard has done a masterful job. And even though there are known actors (Colin Farrell and Viggo Mortensen) in the two lead roles, their fame doesn't detract from the story. I also thought they both, especially Farrell, gave nice, understated performances. The film-makers used an interesting technique in the beginning that normally I find annoying but which I thought actually enhanced the overall feel of the film here. Everyone spoke in their native language which meant, especially for the first part of the film, everything was in Thai with subtitles. As the English rescuers got involved, then the focus switched to their perspective and it was mostly in English (with only occasional subtitles). Especially effective I thought, and even if you're not a cave diver (which I am not), you'll appreciate this as this film also touches on the politics at play during the entire process (which took 18 days from when they were first trapped until the last one was rescued). During the underwater sequences as they're squeezing themselves through narrow cracks and crevices, you hear tanks banging on rocks, you hear breathing, you hear exhaust bubbles, and for a diver watching this, it simply adds to the realism. I've also seen "The Rescue" (released in October of 2021) which takes more of a documentary/interviews/re-creation tack (and which is also excellent) but "Thirteen Lives" definitely puts you right into the middle of everything. Interestingly, BOTH films could be up for Oscars next year as Best Documentary and Best Film. But "Thirteen Lives" is absolutely worth spending 2½ hours watching. It's available streaming on Amazon Prime (which is how I watched it) as well as in movie theaters. Here's the link to the the official trailer:
Thirteen Lives | Official Trailer | Prime Video

I watched it yesterday and I thought it was very well done.

I am not a caver, and have zero interest in caves. I am curious why they didn't use rebreathers? (Not that I know much at all about them...).
From the movie, it appears that each rescue dive was over six hours long. I get it that in reality they placed tanks along the route, but having to swap out tanks on a "package", as well as yourself is mind boggling! Until I watched the movie, I had no idea how complex and risky the rescues were. Drugging the victims so they are unconscious? Who would have thought???

Thanks for the review, Ken. I have been hesitant to watch it but will do so now.

I am curious why they didn't use rebreathers?
The people they were rescuing had very little clue about Scuba, much less rebreathers. KISS methodology (Keep It Simple Stupid!).

Until I watched the movie, I had no idea how complex and risky the rescues were.......edited.....
I've already seen it, so I personally don't care....but how about adding a "spoiler alert" to your posts if you're going to discuss details about the movie? Having said that.....awesome, huh? :)

This is also discussed here :

I watched it yesterday. I am a cave diver. These rescuers are far beyond what most of us (should) think of when we call ourselves such.
I enjoyed the movie. They stuck to reality and didn't "Hollywood" the **** out of it.
With respect to the level of dificulty, the one other major factor they simply couldn't really convey was the visibility being near or at zero. It wouldn't be much of a movie if 60 minutes was staring at a brown TV screen. :)
The only other thing I'm not sure of are the circumstances involved that lead to the sad death of Navy Seal Saman Kunan.
A good movie with an element of scuba...for a change. Too bad it actually occured.

There's more to it than that.....watch the movie. :wink:
OK, but that's enough right there.

The only other thing I'm not sure of are the circumstances involved that lead to the sad death of Navy Seal Saman Kunan.
Yes but I thought they handled that very well. And . . . SPOILER ALERT FOR DIVEPROKOKO . . . I thought cinematically (for those who don't know I'm an actor and SAG/AFTRA member) they way they handled him running out of air was very well done. Listen to the breathing sounds as he gets lower and lower on air. My only criticism would be that he was awfully calm in that sequence, almost accepting of his fate. I would have thought IRL there'd be more of a frantic dash to try to find an air pocket once you realize what's going on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom