Thirds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems like the answer to that is that it simply depends. Everyone uses their own formula for rock bottom depending on how much conservatism they want to calculate in. Some people like GUE deep stops, others don't. The take away message for me is just to look at all the numbers if you're diving a plan you aren't familiar with.
While blowing off deep stops in a team of 2 with one OOG diver is not ideal, its better than drowning.

I think the jist of the question was: does Rock Bottom necessarily ensure that you have enough for either failure (backgas OR lost deco gas)?
As you know... By definition no, in practice its generally in the ballpark.

RB for backgas is RB for going up to next breathable gas. Next available gas has its own RB. However, the picture is not black & white, combining available gases and sharing within team gives whole picture.
Exactly. Alot of these numbers are merely educated guesses on how much gas you and a buddy (or just you) need to get home. As long as your numbers are close, you can compensate for minor assumption mistakes by sharing.

As you know... By definition no, in practice its generally in the ballpark.

Yah. And since it's easy enough to run through both calcs and choose gas accordingly, that's my suggestion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom