Third defective Geo!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KillerJupe

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
So my saga started aug 2009 when i bought a new geo.
It had the battery eating issue. I asked for their tech support and they suggested removing the battery whenever it wasn't in use... at this point i basically regretted every buying the POS.

in aug 2010 there was substantial moisture buildup under the glass and the watch started to short out. (i always stored it in a ziplock w/ moisture eating crystals)
I live in the Philippines, so i suspect just repeated exposure to moist air was the main culpret.

Oceanic RMAed my geo when i went back to CA for free, they would not do it for free from the Philippines.
I received the "factory new" geo literary moments before leaving to catch my flight back to the PI and was unable to examine the watch closely.
Upon strapping it on for my frist dive, i see it has the beginnings of moisture build up already and is blinking low bat.

Great!

3 months later I send the Geo back w/ a friend to the States to be re rmaed.
Oceanic, again, refuses to send me the geo directly or admit they have a ****ty refurbishing process.

Its not Dec 2010 and i get my 3rd "factory new" geo. this one is clearly quite old.
The serial number is worn down and the sticker is coming off, but i don't give a **** cause i just want the thing to work well enough so i can sell it on ebay w/o feeling guilty!

I take it with me during a discover scuba dive and for the first 10mi its working fine, but then it starts freaking out saying im at 150m and ascending too fast, then i was at 5m and then 100 again..... ect ect ect
the sensor was clearly broken!

The DSD student was all weirded out by this crazy beeping it was doing.

I finally got the email of Ron Landess, the Customer Service Manager. I asked for a whole different line of product cause they are unable to address this issue and its been over a year dealing w/ one broken GEO after another.

He offered me a Veo 2.0, i asked for the GEO 2.0, but am wondering if the Veo 3.0 would be a better choice than another watch sized computer.

They are willing to do the replacement through their authorized dealer here in the Philippines.

I'll hopefully be able to post a successful exchange took place, but its been a week w/o any response back from Ron.

you can see the most recent defective sensor photos.

any thoughts about the VEO vs Geo? they seem basically the same just different size

Attachments

• IMG_0250 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0250 (Medium).JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0251 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0251 (Medium).JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 71
Any update?

I'll probably dump mine now, too. Similar history, but fixing the battery issue cost me about 80$ and I'm not willing to spend again.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I really wonder about Oceanic. You would think that given the number of divers on this board that they would respond. It seems that sometimes they just ignore the thread and eventually it goes away.

The geo 2.0 is the exact same hardware and housing just new software and a new LCD tomake it look new.
The same goes for the veo 2.0 to 3.0, just save some money n buy the older version.... Or better yet buy another manufactures computer!

Ron, the customer support manager, is still not responding and live aboard season is coming up.
I wanna get an aeres or tussa wireless computer but not sure which.

The geo 2.0 is the exact same hardware and housing just new software and a new LCD tomake it look new.
The same goes for the veo 2.0 to 3.0, just save some money n buy the older version.... Or better yet buy another manufactures computer!

Ron, the customer support manager, is still not responding and live aboard season is coming up.
I wanna get an aeres or tussa wireless computer but not sure which.

You do realize that Aeris and Oceanic are the same company, right??

yes they are all the same computers.
but i was hoping the aeris epic (i think its similar to the atom) might be more reliable than the oceanic geo....
but honestly im just tempted to pony up and get a d4

well they are "processing" a replacement veo 2.0 for me... when that happens i have no clue!

I've got my Manta (= Geo) in to Oceanic for the battery-gobbling problem. I'm hoping they'll cover it under warranty, but reading of your experience (and others), I'm a little leery that they really have a solution to offer. If they did, one would presume they would fix the problem at the manufacturing stage.

i hope they fix your manta up good... but be super leary when you take it out on that first dive!
look over your DC for anything that will make you suspicious they just sent you a cleaned, but broken, "refurb" unit.
the solution has to be a design change, and seeing how they just released an update to the GEO 2.0 but didn't actually change any real hardware makes me think they don't see this as a problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom