Thinsulite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fundies is NOT the right class for Bill and Emily. Essentials or GUE's Primer class is the right class and will give them the skills and knowledge they need to become better and safer divers. They are diving full Hogarthian gear set-up properly to dive with others trained through either agency. A well taught class through another agency that teaches gas management and in water skills would be appropriate too.

Bill,

I am sure a custom Thinsulate undergarment would be supper nice. It would probably cost a lot of money and give you great protection in the event of a flooded suit.

I when I bought my
Fourth Element Arctic I tried on the largest size that Bamboo Reef had in stock and even though I am just under 6'4" the undergarment was to tall for me. I think even though you are 6'6" you have a good chance of being abele to fit it off the rack based on my experience.

I believe a paid a little under $300.00.

Please let us know what you end up getting.

Kind of late to this thread, but I have a Santi BZ400 Extreme that was custom cut for me - I'm 6'2" - that is built from the crushed 400g Thinsulate. This is the Thinsulate they put into boots.

It is the second-warmest undergarment I've dove. There are lots of features that are unique, like the "motorcycle knees", that really add to enhanced flexibility.

If you make it up here, you are welcome to borrow it to see if the Santi is right for you.

All the best, James

Why do you think that, Peter?

- Bill
Pick the steepest hill in SF and run up it, then tell me how you feel? Fundies is a butt kicker. We talked about that, and I can not imagine Emily enjoying the class itself. Instead a class that covers gas management and skills is what you two need, either from a private instructor or a regular class. I gave you names, and the ways to contact them. Get in touch with them and find out who offers the class you want and need.

Pick the steepest hill in SF and run up it, then tell me how you feel?

I feel like I am just beginning my workout. But I take your point. We are not 35 any longer! There is no need to take a class that has a large workout component. Maybe they do that because Fundies is also required for tech diving? We need skills development, as you suggest.

Bill

I feel like I am just beginning my workout. But I take your point. We are not 35 any longer! There is no need to take a class that has a large workout component. Maybe they do that because Fundies is also required for tech diving? We need skills development, as you suggest.

Bill

I understand why Peter feels that Fundies might be too much for some people. Long days, lots of time in the water is taxing for most people. The content of the class itself is not heavy in terms of physical workload. You don't do anything beyond what you would do during the normal course of a dive.

If long days/long immersion times are of concern, talk with the instructor. They all are flexible. I know Beto in past has split classes so the sessions are more like half days. Do consider your instructor's judgement to guide you towards the class that best fits your needs.

On a side note, irrespective of any class that one does or doesn't take, isn't it sensible that we as divers achieve and maintain a level of fitness where we can not only comfortably execute our dives but also have enough in reserve to be able to render aid to a distressed buddy? I mean, imagine if you surface 200 yards from shore and your buddy requires your assistance to get back to shore. Will you be able to do it?

Any fitness requirement imposed in any class is good in my book. Increasing your fitness to some useful level is valuable as emergency situations do arise and the sometimes there is no one else but you who can get your buddy back to shore.

I am close to 6'4" which makes me a little tall for off the rack fits. When I first got my drysuit I bought a DUI XM250 Thinsulate jumpsuit. The problem I ran into is that the Thinsulate had almost no stretch to it and even know it fit nice a snug in the dressing room when I got into water and started diving I fount the distance between my shoulders and crotch was a little short. I ended up returning the DUI XM250 (Thank You Diver Dan's for accepting my post dive return, you earned more of my business) and ended up getting a Fourth Element Arctic jump suit. The Fourth Element is a better fit for me and a very nice undergarment at less then half the price of the DUI XM250. I think the DUI XM250 Thinsulate is a better undergarment if it fits you just right and you are willing to pay twice as much for a 15% improvement in undergarment.

Gecko I think I tried on your returned jumpsuit at Diver Dan's. Surprisingly, I think it might be a fit for me -- but I would get the XM450, which they said fits the same as the 250. When I put my arms up over my head, it seemed fine in the crotch. The material slid down the arms about 2 or 3", but most of that space would be taken up by the wrist seals anyway, right? It was not too generous in the midsection. I could bend over without a problem, and squat without a problem.

Am I describing a good fit?

- Bill

I ordered a 4th Element Arctic and it seems mostly great. XXL fits me pretty well. The material seems considerably stiffer than Polartec, more like Thinsulate. I got the 2-piece (leggings and the top separate pieces), thinking that it might provide more flexibility for my height, but I was disturbed to find that there is no easy access to pee and no way to have a p-valve (unless you modify it). To pee you have to undo the drawstring at the waist.

Why would they design it that way?

I am thinking of trying the 1-piece, which DRIS assures me does have a proper opening for a pee valve and easy access. Hopefully it will be long enough for my huge height (6'6").

Love DRIS's return policy!

Thanks,

Bill

Diving Concepts also makes thinsulate undergarments. 200G. They also make a vest you can wear on top of the undergarment. Combined they are very warm in 6C waters. TPS Page 2
Not anymore. They went bankrupt and closed their doors.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2013 at 11:47 AM ----------

I ordered a 4th Element Arctic and it seems mostly great. XXL fits me pretty well. The material seems considerably stiffer than Polartec, more like Thinsulate. I got the 2-piece (leggings and the top separate pieces), thinking that it might provide more flexibility for my height, but I was disturbed to find that there is no easy access to pee and no way to have a p-valve (unless you modify it). To pee you have to undo the drawstring at the waist.

Why would they design it that way?

I am thinking of trying the 1-piece, which DRIS assures me does have a proper opening for a pee valve and easy access. Hopefully it will be long enough for my huge height (6'6").

Love DRIS's return policy!

Thanks,

Bill
Does the material not allow for making holes?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom