Thinsulite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
I have heard from various divers that thinsulite 300g is the way to go for an undergarment. I called around to various shops and it seemed that it was only available with a DUI logo and the consequent authentic DUI pricetag. I could not find any online shops that offered it for less.

Any guidance here?

- Bill

I've never tried it, and have pretty limited time diving dry, but in my research it seems that Thinsulate is pretty fragile stuff -- hard to launder, mainly. In comparison Polartec is pretty much bomb-proof and provides plenty of warmth for most normal diving (i.e. not spending hours at a time in a cave), and has acceptable buoyancy characteristics. I've been throwing my ThermalFusion in the wash after pretty much every dive with no apparent wear and tear.

Thinsulate is great - especially since it will still keep you warm when it floods.....and eventually, it will flood.

That being said - there are different grades of thinsulate so it is NOT just the weight that matters. For example - Both Bare and Santi (maybe others) sell a 200g/m2 weight Thinsulate material that is crushed and performs extremely well - in fact it is my favorite.

I know people that use the standard 400 and they have no problems.

Im not sure who else makes a 300g/m2 weight besides DUI - but done get to stuck on needs that specific weight as their are other options.

I prefer to have multiple layers anyway - so I can add and remove as needed.

I wear a light polartec or ECWCS under my Bare 200 for when it is real cold, and when it warms up - I remove them.

The negative of Thinsulate is that since it is wax based - you dont want to use harch chemicals or fabric softners. I clean if with water and white vinegar - then hang dry carefully. When you wear an underlayer with it - the underlayer will be cleaned more often. My thinsulate gets dove a lot and it doesnt need to be cleaned since the layer below it gets cleaned every dive.

FWIW: I got the BARE super hiloft undies (500g/m^2 in the torso, 250 arms and legs) at Anywater Sports and am mighty toasty.

I have heard from various divers that thinsulite 300g is the way to go for an undergarment. I called around to various shops and it seemed that it was only available with a DUI logo and the consequent authentic DUI pricetag. I could not find any online shops that offered it for less.

Any guidance here?

- Bill
I found that I liked polartec fleece better. Mainly because of the increased flexibility that I have. Also because I can throw it in the wash. Always a consideration if you're using some sort of urine device like the she-p or men's condom cath.
In fact, I have a barely used thinsulate, small that I'd consider selling.
I had Janice at Sofwear custom make mine from 300g and I can layer with smart wool. I also have the 200 g pants. I will also get her vest sometime. The prices are amazing, especially compared to commercial stuff. And, you can't beat her service. She gets stuff out almost the day you order it.

DUI makes Thinsulate undergarments, and so does Santi. As already mentioned, Thinsulate is fussy about its care. Alternatives to consider are the 4th Element fleece (not warm enough for me in Puget Sound, but others use them), the 4th Element Halo (VERY warm, and tolerant of washing), or the Thermal Fusion (fleece-based, but surprisingly warm).

I said 400gm, not 300gm...brrrr whatever you decide to get it is probably going to have to be custom cut. You went to the DUI demo day, did they have undies that fit?

I said 400gm, not 300gm...brrrr whatever you decide to get it is probably going to have to be custom cut. You went to the DUI demo day, did they have undies that fit?

Not that was thinsulite. The 400g of polartec that they had was WAAAAY too lofty for me to even get in a drysuit. But my size thinsulite can be ordered.

Thanks for the clarification on 400, not 300.

- Bill

Not that was thinsulite. The 400g of polartec that they had was WAAAAY too lofty for me to even get in a drysuit. But my size thinsulite can be ordered.

Thanks for the clarification on 400, not 300.

- Bill

There are at least 3 (probably more) manufacturers (Bare, Santi, Dui) that make a 400g - but - its not compressed like the Santi or Bare 200 - which is a higher grade of Thinsulate. Santi also makes the 400 weight in the B series thinsulate- which should be WARM as heck.

The Santi BZ200 or the Bare CT 200. Both use the "B" series of thinsulate which is compressed and VERY warm without the extra bulk.

Last edited:
I have heard from various divers that thinsulite 300g is the way to go for an undergarment... Any guidance here?

Personally, I think DUI is overpriced for what you get. I've found that a fourth element Halo 3D with an Xerotherm baselayer keeps me warm on long cold-water dives. 4E has the 'Arctic' to provide even more warmth, but I haven't found any recreational/technical diving location where I'd require it. I'd recommend that you look into the 4E solution...

Back
Top Bottom