Thinking of doubling up my HP80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello, I also have really bad knees... 4 surgeries down and I need a 5th. I usually take my doubles to the water or boat on a dolly, then I put them on in the water... saves on the knees. However if I were going to go with double Al 80s I would only use Luxfer tanks... with about 200 psi they are neutral in fresh water. Catalina tanks become very buoyant when empty so you would have to be over weighted at the beginning of the dive which will jack with your trim. Some salvage divers or hard hat divers use the double Al set up but those guys are super heavy. With all that said if you use luxfer tanks you should be fine.

My tanks are steel HP80s, not AL80s. Totally different animal But thanks for your comments on how you handle doubles with your knees :) I’d use a dolly when diving at the quarry to get them down to the water. On the boat, I found I could walk the short distance to the back of the boat with both SM tanks on, so I think I’d be OK.

@ajtoady

I already have the proper valves on my tanks from SM. Just need to connect them with the isolator cross bar.

A lovely fellow SB-er who shall remain nameless has offered me two pieces of gear to get me started on doubles. :). I’ll be getting an unused Blue Steel isolator manifold, as well as a no longer used Dive Rite Rec wing (older model) which was used for HP100 doubles and drysuit. Set of bands and a small amount of tweaking to my SM regs and I’ll try them out in the pool next month.

Thank you! :flowers:

This site really is a great resource...

Yah I see what you’re saying... I would try it. It’s not exactly conventional but hey if it works whatever.

Happy, safe diving!

The total weight might be similar but the distribution is different. Have you tried walking around with HP80 doubles?

The total weight might be similar but the distribution is different. Have you tried walking around with HP80 doubles?

Nope, because no one here has them. I'll double them up and try them at the pool and we'll see how it goes.

Use HP100 doubles that are empty.

Someone I know who actually dived HP80 doubles (until they started doing 200’ dives and went to bigger tanks) is selling me the bands used on their set for $40. So even if this doesn’t work out, I don’t have much $$ into to.

Got wing and manifold. Wing didn't hold air after being left for 6 hours inflated. Reinflated and dunked in tub. Lots of bubbles from inflator mouthpiece and also from elbow. Flange looks to be in good shape. Metal around inflator head buttons is green. Ordered power inflator head, OPV, and elbow from DGX. Manifold looks to be in very good shape. Got tank bands today.

In the U.K. twin 10s are quite common. They are a good compromise and usually they give plenty of gas for the people whose height suits them. A slight annoyance, depending on your height, is that they may not be supported by a bench when you are sitting on the bench.

It is sensible to use a sack trolly to move most twinsets about.

Sorry if this is too obvious, but you are aware that the bands and manifold have to approximately match?

I have two twinsets of 10L steel (Faber) and they are great for me at 5'7"

I still use a 3lb tail weight though to balance the trim otherwise I go head down.

+1 with using something to move them around like a trolly.

The only time they feel heavy is after the dive when climbing up the ladder on the boat, I need to work on my knees too.

Back
Top Bottom