Thinking about going tec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why do you agree with @rjack321 that that plan was "...Terrible."?

HI Mark.

Wrong question to the wrong person. and some of the answers from @rjack321 appear up thread

Personally, if I were Marie, at her level, I certainly wouldn't be posting plans. However well read, its still theoretical with ZERO practical experience of actual technical diving.

If you have someone who has the credentials of actually making big dives, the correct response is why. Not snapping back in a huff

I could post a plan for a 12 minute dive to 200' on an single AL80. The software says it's doable (with my SAC) - although it's sketchy AF.

There can be a vast gulf between looking okay on paper (planner) and being okay in the real world.

I’m a real beginner but 64 minutes on a ppo2 of 0.79 doesn’t look like useful as deco.

I’m also super new tech diver but Thats also a crazy of deco to do with single deco gas....... if you lose that 50 you’re in a world of hurt

OK, Tribal and KentB had the same thoughts as I did when I perused those dive plans that we are referencing. I totally agree. I would rather do multiple dives with more reasonable run times than one huge dive with lots of deco for a relatively shallow dive.
There can be a vast gulf between looking okay on paper (planner) and being okay in the real world.
Hi DD,
I got that from your previous post, even though you did not spell it out. I think your opinion is interesting and balanced; I was hoping for more of a nuts'n'bolts type response. Sometimes we disagree, but I still lock your statements inside the cranium's hard drive.
cheers,
m

Ok, I'm thinking about going tec. I do not plan to go beyond 200, in fact I don't plan on going past 130. I would like to spend more time at depth though.

Right now with a N28 I get 18 minutes at 130. Switch tanks with surface interval and repeat.

If I go tec can I do say 30 minutes at 130, do all deco stops and repeat or am I at just that one dive? In other words will I get more actual bottom time?
Back to this...

Yes, you will get more time in the water, a lot more. You will also get more time on the bottom, a little more.

Can you still do 2 dives a day (with the profile above), yes you can. It will be a longer day.

Another consideration, who are you diving with? Going to start having to look at tech charters. Or you have your own boat. Bringing some friends along for the tech class or meeting new ones. I still dive with recreational friends in recreational conditions with a tech setup. I find it more relaxing and keeps me in practice. Did the U352 this past summer on a standard cattle boat recreational trip and there were a handful of divers doing the same thing.

My transition to tech started off pretty simple. There is a wreck in 100' of water and I wasn't happy with the few minutes I was spending on it. I wanted a little more time, and there is a plane at 135' I heard about and wanted to see. So started the tech training. AN/DP got me covered for a few years. I was happy with it. I could enjoy the dives a lot more, didn't worry so much about my gas consumption. I would rack up a little deco, 10 minutes with stops in the 20 and 10 foot range most of the time. Not even close to the half hour+ that half of this thread is talking about. This was my start in tech, not super experienced long dive plans. Just a little more than the recreational limits, a little deco time. Starting point.

What the AN/DP got me more was more gas, how to plan and manage it, and how to do a gas swap during a dive for accelerated deco. Multiple deco gases were discussed as in they existed. But that was not part of the training. Don't even think about going there until you have spent time doing single deco gas dives. That is a whole new level of training that has been discussed way too much in a thread for someone who is looking for the first stage of tech diving beyond a basic Nitrox class.

But there is always room to go further. Take a few more classes, add a bit more gear. Several more books to study up on. Next thing you know there is a rebreather filled with trimix. But it all starts somewhere.

Back to this...

Yes, you will get more time in the water, a lot more. You will also get more time on the bottom, a little more.

Can you still do 2 dives a day (with the profile above), yes you can. It will be a longer day.

Another consideration, who are you diving with? Going to start having to look at tech charters. Or you have your own boat. Bringing some friends along for the tech class or meeting new ones. I still dive with recreational friends in recreational conditions with a tech setup. I find it more relaxing and keeps me in practice. Did the U352 this past summer on a standard cattle boat recreational trip and there were a handful of divers doing the same thing.

My transition to tech started off pretty simple. There is a wreck in 100' of water and I wasn't happy with the few minutes I was spending on it. I wanted a little more time, and there is a plane at 135' I heard about and wanted to see. So started the tech training. AN/DP got me covered for a few years. I was happy with it. I could enjoy the dives a lot more, didn't worry so much about my gas consumption. I would rack up a little deco, 10 minutes with stops in the 20 and 10 foot range most of the time. Not even close to the half hour+ that half of this thread is talking about. This was my start in tech, not super experienced long dive plans. Just a little more than the recreational limits, a little deco time. Starting point.

What the AN/DP got me more was more gas, how to plan and manage it, and how to do a gas swap during a dive for accelerated deco. Multiple deco gases were discussed as in they existed. But that was not part of the training. Don't even think about going there until you have spent time doing single deco gas dives. That is a whole new level of training that has been discussed way too much in a thread for someone who is looking for the first stage of tech diving beyond a basic Nitrox class.

But there is always room to go further. Take a few more classes, add a bit more gear. Several more books to study up on. Next thing you know there is a rebreather filled with trimix. But it all starts somewhere.

This started with some bad influences among those I hang out with (one has a boat). We are hanging around talking and the subject of these 110-130 foot wrecks comes up. I said I dont dive those the bottom time isn't worth it for me. Well just get these certs and come with us oncecwe finish our certs (they are in the process) was the response.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom