Think back a little...what were you like as a new diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really never had to struggle or even put much work into diving...until I started Tec training.

OW was very easy to me b/c I was quite comfortable in the water. Mask issues that plague many were a breeze. Night dives are my favorite. Mostly this is because from a very young age I spent nearly every day of summer swimming. I loved swimming down to the bottom of the deep end at night with no lights on in the pool, while most of my friends didn't. I was a lifeguard for a few summers, too.

Ask me to fix my truck? Not happening. Ask me to paint a wall? HA! Not if you want it to look good. My point: everyone has aptitudes. Experience, training, and time will help you overcome the struggles as long as you have the desire.

No problems with the knowledge or skills during the training process.

The REALLY BAD thing I discovered about myself as a diver in the subsequent years was that I was a "follow the leader, trust me" diver who blindly followed the DM. After realizing that I was not taking any responsibility for my diving, which stifled my skills development, I got my head on straight, reviewed the materials, practiced the skills and took that to shore diving... my plan, my dive, my responsibility = better diver + better buddy.

Moral of the story: If you're a new diver, don't do "follow me, trust me" dives. You will benefit in so many ways.

Be safe, have fun.

Gulp. That was 50 years ago this fall. You're really testing an Old Timer's memory with that question. I do remember the first time I used SCUBA gear (1961) and my first ocean dive (1969). I'm sure I was just an awesome diver from the "get go..." at least in my own mind! Actually, since I was a competitive swimmer back then, diving really came pretty naturally to me. And we didn't have to worry about all the equipment (octos, SPGs, BCDs, dive computers, etc.)... just properly weight ourselves for the anticipated depth and (as Nike says) just "do it."

One thing I do remember about my first experiences with ocean diving was how afraid of great white sharks I was (well before "Jaws" came out). Now I just accept that they share the ocean with me and don't seem too interested in me as a food source.

Thanks for all the replies!

Noody was nervous? Just me?:shocked2:

Tomorrow we are headed back to quarry where we were certified. To be honest, there's not much to see (heck the visability is not so great), but we are going to just work on buoyancy control and descending without hurting my ear. I am not a fan of the place as I have seen everything there that is within my limits (60ft), but this is just to get more used to everything. Heck, boring would be great if it helps me get better with diving.:D
I remember being in the pool and we were standing up and the instructor just wanted us to put our face in the water and breath through the regulator and as I did this I was thinking "I can't breath" all the while i of course I was breathing. It took a few seconds for the message to get through to my brain that I could breath through the reg.
Fast forward a few years and like many others here I pursued diving to a technical level. So hang in there.

Reactions: EFB
I guess Im too new back to diving to comment.I can't think of a time so far I got nervous or scared.I made some mistakes duing my OW course basicly coming down to misuderstanding what the instructor wanted me to do. I got annoyed at myself.
I even said to my instructor I'd invented a new signal. Hand slap on the forehead-pretty self explainatory really.

I was a hot mess as well. Out of shape, sun burned, couldn't take my mask off, sea sick all the time and the list goes on. After a lot of practice and learning what my specific limitations are (after several repeated mistakes because I swore I was Super Man) I came around. Looking back, I am honestly surprised I didn't hurt myself.

I think I was too stupid to be nervous.

my brother said"hold onto the block,and if we stop seeing bubbles,we'll pull you up!"
like a fool,i believed him...
...i had to swim up...
we all do stupid things-sometimes thats the best tool for learning!!!!
try not to make them fatal!!!!!!!
just have fun
yaeg

For me getting into the ocean on scuba was more of a gradual evolution.

I was actually a total non swimmer as a kid. I was one of those panicky dog paddler types that hated water over my head and despite my moms best efforts to enroll me into swimming classes as a kid it never really took hold.
Then when I hit puberty several years later something changed and all of a sudden I loved water and loved to swim. Even though I wasen't thast great and still kinda suck when it comes to form I'm fine in the water. I was good enough to pass the 200 yd for open water so that's all that really matters.

Getting in the ocean was a gradual process. First I started fishing off the rocks along our coastline and while fishing I would see kayakers bottom fishing and they would get way more fish than me. That lead me to get a kayak and a wetsuit then while kayaking I would see abalone divers along the shore free diving for abalone.
From that I found myself snooping around in dive shops asking questions about what it takes to get into ab diving. They sold me the appropriate gear for free diving and soon I found an old man as a mentor through channels and he started taking me out skin diving for abalone.
After doing that for a few years and repeatedly going into dive shops to get stuff I lost or whatever, I started brousing the scuba stuff and asking questions about it. Next thing I know I'm signed up for scuba classes and into the ocean we go.
I was already a skin diver so I was used to the wetsuit and freediving gear so scuba was just a cherry on top. The only difference was I could breath underwater.
I passed easy as pie and had a great time doing it. The mask off excercise was the hardest but with concentration I got it no problem.

I highly recommend a few years of freediving (skin diving) in the environment you'll be scuba diving in before getting certified. It makes all the difference in the world.

I was a mess.

First, I don't really like water. Not on my face anyway...so swimming is out, as is splashing water on my face randomly. I like being on and around the water...but not on my face. (Mask flood and clear was a challenge)

After I became certified, I started to acquire my own gear. Instead of buying a total equipment package, I pieced things together, and my shop frequently sold me gear on clearance...whether it fit me or not.

So my mish mash of ill-fitting gear made my journey through scuba harder than it need be. But, I came into scuba to become an instructor in Seattle, so I pressed on.

Bit by bit, my muscles became stronger, my skills better and soon...I actually enjoyed diving. Um...ALOT!!

I've been an instructor for 8 years now, earning my living full time in the water. I still can't say I like water on my face...but I can definitely say...I LOVE being under the water. And if I can do this...ANYBODY can do this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom