Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FatCat:
What, if anything, have you found and salvaged on your dives? I'm not talking about scavenging wrecks, I'm just curious to know what items, if any, all of you have stumbled upon while diving.

Here's my list to date :

4 kg of lead weights
2 masks
1 snorkel
1 safety sausage
1 bottle of champagne
1 dive knife with integrated bottle opener
assorted litter

Money, knives, masks, snorkels, top of bikini, chain, frying pan, fishing poles, golf balls, old bottles, dead seal, car battery, urns, stop signs, telephone poles, trees, frisbee.

The most "interesting" was an integrated weight package that I needed to use a lift bag to recover. I located the owner (an LDS) and commented "The diver who ditched that weight must have Polarised to the surface." I was told "yes they did."

The most significant Items I have found so far were
1) My buddy's compass in Florida
2) My buddy's weight pouch with 10lbs in it in C-53 wreck in Cozumel.
3) My buddy's compass in C-53 wreck in Cozumel (same dive).

He didn't realize that he had lost any of the items at the time. He did notice that he seemed a bit more bouyant after losing 10 lb weight pouch, but wasn't sure why.

Wristshot

String:
A golf ball 2.5 miles offshore in 20m of water wedged firmly between a rock.

Nothing else odd.

Probably from Kramers driving range, eh?

Funny thing we found was a park service sign describing the different types of whales you could view from this little kiosk on a hill above the shoreline in Sitka. However, the sign was in 60 ft of water. :wink:

Poog

I've found a pair of panties one one dive, a bra on another, an entire sixpack of icehouse, old masks, snorkles, single fins, soft weights, hard weights.

My gf found a Cressi-sub mask last week. She also found a beautiful Nautilus shell once. I myself have found a snorkel and 4 kg of lead. Once, diving around Bunaken, someone in my group found a Mares computer that had been in the water for about two days.

A small fishing pole. I was curious about a nice taught line of fishing line so I followed it up to about twenty feet and there was a nice little pole. It had only been in the water a short while, apparently, because it still works fine.

I've also found golf balls.

My favorite was at Lake Pleasant. I was swimming along on my way back to shore. I happened to glance over to my left and sitting nice and pretty was a large black ball with 3 holes in it. I swam over and sure enough it said Brunswick on it. A fricking bowling ball. I put my fingers in the holes and picked it up, light as a feather, until I got out of water and it became heavy again. (bowling balls have a hollow area or some kind of buoyant substance in them that affects the way the ball spins or something..)

I asked around why oh why would there be a bowling ball in the lake and finally somebody came up with a decent aswer.

Turns out some people like to make homemade cannons and shoot bowling balls across the lake, skipping them across the surface.

I dream of finding money tho, that post earlier in the thread about finding 820 dollars in a wallet is my personal dive fantasy. Well one of my personal dive fantasies...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom