Things you've found under water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I found a laminated boat registration card from 1971 in Lake George, NY at about 20ft......in 1997. When we got back to the house, I looked the owner up in the phone book. The guy was still alive and living in Ticonderoga so I called him. We met for 5-10 minutes, I gave him the card and he just stared at it dumbfounded.

Lots of stuff. Most notable- 18hp Evinrude (works good after some work), tool box full of tools, Nikon 35mm (junk), unopened bottle of Crown Royal (also worked good), Cabellas tri-legged camp stool, lowrance fish finder (junk), but my very best find is my Steiner binoculars (perfect once I cleaned them up).

A friend of mine is a commercial diver in the Mississippi River and he finds the really cool stuff. Lots of indian artifacts, antique bottles etc. He recently found a very very old flintlock rifle all covered with rust. I tried to talk him into derusting it via electrolysis, but he likes it the way it is. He also has another very very old flintlock pistol in the same condition.

fishoutawater:
Lots of stuff. Most notable- 18hp Evinrude (works good after some work), tool box full of tools, Nikon 35mm (junk), unopened bottle of Crown Royal (also worked good), Cabellas tri-legged camp stool, lowrance fish finder (junk), but my very best find is my Steiner binoculars (perfect once I cleaned them up).

A friend of mine is a commercial diver in the Mississippi River and he finds the really cool stuff. Lots of indian artifacts, antique bottles etc. He recently found a very very old flintlock rifle all covered with rust. I tried to talk him into derusting it via electrolysis, but he likes it the way it is. He also has another very very old flintlock pistol in the same condition.

Can you get your buddy to post pics of some of his relics? I'd like to see the Indian relics out of the Mississippi.

Thanks!

WD

Willy, he's somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee right now. I don't expect to hear from him for a few more weeks. Not sure. but I think he might be mussel diving.
As soon as he gets back, I'll try to get some pics for you. He's an old river rat, and doesn't think much of computers, cell phones and such. He's also kinda big brother leary. But I'll see what I can do.

fishoutawater:
Willy, he's somewhere in Kentucky or Tennessee right now. I don't expect to hear from him for a few more weeks. Not sure. but I think he might be mussel diving.
As soon as he gets back, I'll try to get some pics for you. He's an old river rat, and doesn't think much of computers, cell phones and such. He's also kinda big brother leary. But I'll see what I can do.

Thanks! That's a neat occupation (mussel diving). Understand on the Big Brother deal. Shoot me a PM if that helps.

Thanks again,

WD

Lobsters when no one else even sees them. I find them. Its believed lobsters fear me as the great white lobster hunter.
Quarter in the Rock Quarry
Someone lost a Ring in about 60ft of water at a rock quarry in PA. I found that
Filet Knife on a ship wreck of the coast of NJ. Have to check the dive book to see which one.

The guy who taught me Nitrox pulled up 100 pieces of china off the Andrea Doria about 10 years ago.

aquamar:
Hey huys, I found an intact TBD devastator. 12 years of research. I have found Four B-25's, some sadly debris fields. 2 B-24's. 1 A-24. 3 H8k Emily's. 2 H6k Mavis. I SB2c Helldiver, a PBM-3 Mariner, a TBM/F Avenger, A Grumann J2F Duck, a F6f Hellcat, a squardon of Zeros, besides a couple P-39's, one with aircrew. Lived underwater in the Marshall Islands for 26 years. 250 Book research library, know archivists by first names. Looking for a couple research partners in the zen of Shadow Divers. Oh, and a bunch of ships, and I work for a living too. All replies welcome. Matt Holly

:11:
:blink:
:cheers:

WOW <jaw drops to floor> I'm impressed!

and jealous

Well, I can't top aquamar but would love to have been on some of those dives!

My cache from Southern Cal shore dives and Channel Islands...California, that is...

Broken up kayak
Pager...Like in the Corona commercials
Remote control boat...."Daddy, let me try it now!"
Brand new rod and reel...."Daddy, let me try it now...I promise I won't lose it like the boat".
Frisbees
4 Masks
3 Snorkels
2 non-matching fins
Nemo toy
Brand new knife and scabboard
Knife by itself
Golf balls
Zeagle weight pouches (large pair w 18lbs of soft weights)
Ceramic anchor thing shaped like a fish
Power Ranger doll
A large rib bone...hopefully not human.
Assorted blankets, towels, clothing...no I didn't keep those.
Small boat anchor

Weekend report ~ Some coal, I think a Packard Hubcap, and a old brown beer bottle with the word Canada stamped on it.

Back
Top Bottom