Things You Learned but Never Had to Use (or Had to Use)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace Malinowski

Training Agency President
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I am looking at shelves of books and diving manuals that I've read over the past 41 years in the sport. Two even have my name on them! The older books are my favorites. They seem to contain the most in-depth information and are also the ones I remember most due to the principle of primacy. Books also remind me of the classes I have taken, the instructors who taught them, and fellow students whose ingenious solutions and complete foul-ups served as learning experiences. As I age, I really am starting to forget a lot. Like my mask is already on my face when I'm looking for it. There's that saying, "He's forgotten more about diving than most of us will ever know." In some ways that is true because things that were once taught in diving courses are no longer taught. In other ways, it is not true because so many divers are learning to use technology that I have only had rudimentary training in (such as rebreathers) or no training (such as sidemount).

Thousands of pages of information and thousands of hours in classes (100+ certifications that are related to diving or lifeguarding), and I've only had to use a fraction of those lessons in 7,500+ dives.

One thing I have never had to do was plot a course vector to compensate for the current. In the real world, based upon the experience of missing and then getting better at finding targets with a compass, my course vector became a pretty accurate guess at the angle I needed to swim over time and distance based on how fast the water was moving me. I also never needed to plot a course on a chart.

Another thing I've never had to do was to use my exact gas consumption rate to plan a dive outside class. Battlefield calculations were fine for gas planning.

One of the strangest things I learned in initial open water training was to remove my tank to bump an aggressive shark. Yeah. Never had to use that one. My former girlfriend was a shark expert so I was exposed to sharks a little more than average, but there was never a need for the tank trick.

I learned to eat and drink underwater but never did a dive longer than about 3.5 hours. So there was no need. Freediving to 95 feet during a girl's PADI AOW course my friend was teaching coupled with swimming in reverse while practicing eating and drinking underwater the following day did get me a date with her, and she became "the girl" until she wasn't.

Those are just a few things that come to mind.

How about you? Do you have any favorite academic or practical aspects of training you learned but never had to use? Or, perhaps something you never thought you'd have to do, but you did?

I learned how to share air off one regulator during my discovery scuba course many years ago but have never done it since, either for practice or for real.

Dropping weights
Donating gas to someone with no gas — as in they cannot breathe

The oxygen clock concept in my PADI nitrox course many years ago. I'm not saying it's useless to everyone; just that for the recreational diving I've done, which included up to 5 dives/day on EAN32 in Bonaire and on some liveaboard trips, it didn't seem to me I'd get into territory putting me at high risk of O2 toxicity.

Now, I may be wrong about that. It's been so long since I thought about it much that I may've missed something serious. I've been on trips around other people diving nitrox, and they often analyzed their tanks and filled out their nitrox log sheets, but I don't recall ever hearing anyone talk about their oxygen clock.

And my perspective is solely based on recreational diving.

I also don't use acronyms for gear checks. I do gear checks on myself pre-dive (I've screwed up enough times going in the water that now I do it twice), but I don't use the agency acronyms. BWRAF sounds like something I'd do if I had a stomach virus.

CPR or everything I learnt from the rescue course.
Same. I think the vast majority of actual skills you are taught are ones you'll probably never use. Many of them relate to safety. Now, if you take an uw photographer or videographer course you may use some of what was taught, but that's because you'll probably be doing a lot of that type of diving.
I would guess that I used maybe 10-15% of the stuff I learned in my 6 years as a music major when I taught Band or when I play clarinet professionally. That's probably a larger % than the same with Scuba. Now, my diving the last 5 years has been very shallow (30' max usually) solo shore diving, which other than buoyancy and don't forget to turn your air on, doesn't really depend on knowing a ton of skills.

Donating an octopus at 6m to an out of air diver. A skill I was never taught as buddy breathing was the thing then. Don’t know how it was possible without training?

The next day was a pan pan medico on the radio for a bent diver. Never expected to use the radio training for a real issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom