Things You Do but Were Told Not To

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moosicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So in all areas of life, there are rules (spoken and unspoken) we adhere to based on how seriously the consequenses are for breaking them (riding a motorcycle without a helmet, not using a seatbelt, smoking {though it is not a law or rule it should be obvious to humanity that humans shouldn't smoke because the affects are direly serious but for some reason fools still do, sorry if this offendeth the unwise smoker/reader and that I ranted a bit there}, locking the house doors when leaving, not running with sharp objects, tearing the "do not tear off" tag of a mattress, etc., etc.,). Obviously, there are rules that you CANNOT break or you will risk life and limb for sure.

So my diving related rule that I want to ask if some still do even though it is recommended and taught that you should not do is this: taking sinus medication to aid equalization. I don't mean in the throws of a cold or legitimate period of atypical congestion but just to help sort of dry up what may normally be there. Usually, I have some initial difficulty equalizing on descent in the first dive that I think is a result of a tiny bit of normal/average congestion in the eustatian tubes. Now after the first dive, I'm doing all that beautiful drainage due to the experience that we all get on the boat with; snot hanging and drooling from the mask and remnants on the nose and face and there isn't much of an issue as I'm decongesting by sheer force of nature. But I'm groove-busting the initial dive for my dive partners (just a little) because we have to take longer than usual just to get down to depth. I'm going to start Neti-potting it a day or two before the dives from now on and see if that helps but I also wondered if any of you go against common recommendations and take a decongestant prior to the dive. Obviously, the risk is a reverse equalization issue should the medication wear off mid dive. I have bumped into a diver or two who say they do but I'm normally a very straight-laced, by the rule book type of individual (it even bugs me when people go IN the OUT door, don't turn their headlights on when its raining, or check out their 21 items in the "20-items-or-less" lane for instance). So I'm a bit trepidatious about this, especially as the serious consequence/risk factor rises. So do you or is this an "absolutely never break" one?

Instead of using a medication what I do is us a Saline bottle to help with dry closed sinus problems. One reason for your head to be stopped up is dried sinus lining. The Saline will help flush any pollutants and aid in the health of you sinus cavities.

Just how I deal with it and I am no means a doctor. If I am too congested I just do not dive.

I think you will find that there are a lot of people who do this. Whether it will help your equalization issues or not is something you just have to find out. And the risk of reverse block is real -- and since you don't have the option of NOT surfacing, you could find yourself in the position of having to accept serious ear damage in order not to drown.

Have I done it? Yes. Would I recommend it to others as a routine practice? No.

...go against common recommendations and take a decongestant prior to the dive.
It used to be a common suggestion, and many of us still do. It's getting difficult to find real Pseudoephedrine, precription required in some states, lots of limits and some pharmacists who aren't clear on what those are, etc. - and the OTC replacement is much more likely to wear off in short time, but Walgreens carries Wal-Act at a reasonable price.

My home bud doesn't need it other than diving, but cannot dive without it. He also uses nasal irrigation and tools he learned from the famous video, and I always wait with him at 15 ft until he clears - none of this "meet you on the bottom" crap.

I use an extended acting Sudafed (probably a generic) for the same reasons as you.

I've had reverse block twice, and it is very bad news indeed (not when taking this medicine, if memory serves). I actually take the medicine with an eye toward preventing the problem. Again, assuming you're not abnormally congested that day anyway.

Richard.

I always take a 12 hour Sudafed (the real deal, Pseudoephedrine) about an hour before my dive day starts. Never had any problems.

I have sinus issues and prefer the real-deal pseudoephedrine when my allergies or cold stuff me up. I have tried taking it before diving and have had a harder time clearing while taking it! Also, I look like my brain exploded and was coming out my nose into my mask! I'm a bloody mess on the first dive. The other thing I have learned not to do is drink blue Gatorade while diving. If you ever want attention drink that on a dive boat you'll get more offers for mouth to mouth.

I use Afrin for a one or two day stretch. I have used a steroidal solution for a while and it worked well.

Ooooo!! I used that stuff once while in college during my allergic period in the state of Tennessee and swore the only way that it would enter my body again was if a foreign power was attempting to illicit national secrets from me. When the medication wore off, I had (quite literally) 5X worse symptoms than before. I've had food poison experiences that were more pleasant! No thank you! LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom