Things That Almost Bit You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a clown fish attack my hands and my camera. Nemo is not very friendly!

Was on a drift dive in Florida, however the dive master had a thing about wanting to stop at coral heads for everyone to stop and peek. Kinda hard with the current we were in. Most times I could get near the floor on the other side of the coral and be shielded from the current, but in a couple spots I had to find bare rock and hang on. (This was the first time I was in the ocean.) We stopped at one coral head and I saw rock and reached for it and the dive master grabbed my hand to stop me. I thought he was just against me touching things, but I really had no choice or I would be separated. Just as I was about to grumble at him, he waved his reef hook near the "rock" and it moved! It was a scorpion fish that had blended in. Sure saved me a lot of pain.

Not sure why, but I frequently wiggle my finger in front of male Sheephead to see if they will bite. A rather large one, not the really big one however, took me up on that offer at the Avalon Dive Park recently. He bit down halfway down my wiggling index finger. Not a really hard bite, then he let go and went about his business. Just missed getting that on film. My buddies were cracking up next to me seeing one finally bite me.

I was recently in Belize and was swimming parallel to a green moray eel. It was not huge - perhaps 3-4 feet long and 3-4 inches in diameter. I was a good 6 feet away trying to snap a picture. Next thing I knew, it had turned toward me and was coming straight at me - fast - with its ugly little fangs bared. Did you know that a Sealife DC1400 camera is not a bad club when needed to fend off an attacking eel? I am not sure how I did it, but I just reacted and gave the thing a bonk on the head with the camera when it was less than a foot away from my face. It swam off. Lesson - give eels more room even when swimming parallel.

... scooters make good fending tools as well. I remember well Peter Guy's encounter with a hungry wolf eel that mistook his white dry gloves for a handful of squid ... :shocked2:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

About a month ago this barracuda came in eating some chum I had put in the water. I hit it with a pretty good shot but the shaft passed right through behind his gills. It could still swim dragging the weight of the shaft around. Three times it swam off, turned and charged right at me. The second time it leaped about 2 feet out of the water. The third pass it clipped my knee. I was afraid to look at first because I've seen what those teeth do to fish on a hook and line.
You couldn't have sliced my wetsuit and knee any cleaner with a surgeon's scalpel. Lot of blood but I put some butterfly bandages on it with no stitches. it closed up nicely after taking antibiotics for 5 days also.
Weird. I've shot a LOT of them and this wasn't a big one. You just never know. After it hit me, I handed my gun to my son on the boat. As I was climbing up he said it bit through the shooting line. He then dove down under the boat and there was my spear shaft and the fish, laying dead next to it.
Some days, the fish get even I guess. But just to let them know who's boss, we shot two more last week. Sneaky bastards. :D

DSC04265_zpsc1b13a53.jpgDSC04279_zps11ca2465.jpg

Recorded this two weeks ago in Cozumel.[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=IsFrNU8XMRI[/video]

Not sure if it counts as biting but stung by fire coral. At one point last summer had a remora that just wouldn't leave me alone, kept nipping at my fingers for a solid 10 min. So I took a sequence of pictures of the "attack" lol (pictures below) Lastly just barely avoided getting hit bit a whale shark, it was coming straight at me while feeding, didnt notice it right away and had to roll quick quickly to avoid it smashing into me, lol.IMG_0610.jpgIMG_0596.jpgIMG_0597.jpgIMG_0599.jpgIMG_0605.jpgIMG_0608.jpg

Not quite bitten, but I regularly get wrasses come and clean my ears. One would pause right in front of my mask as if checking if its ok, dart for my ear, then come back in front of my mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom