Things That Almost Bit You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was poking around at something inside of a hole while diving the sea wall around Ft Jefferson when, suddenly, a Morey eel shot out of the hole and chomped on my big ass knife a few times.

Many years ago, I was hand feeding a stingray. I was my first time and i was uninformed on how they ate. I had a bit of food in the palm of my hand and held it out for them. One of the friendly neighborhood rays came up and did his thing. He sucked my fingers into his mouth and bit them. I scared the crap out of me and I pulled my hand back to inspect the nubs. I was happy to see complete fingers and no blood shed at all. I learned the hard way that they use suction to feed.

About 2 years after that while scootering along (near the same wreck I might add), I came up to my target and let off the trigger. As i was hovering and looking at the reef and debris, I got a hard jab right in my side. I turned to see a 6-7' bull shark just floating there and looking at me. As i pulled my scooter to block any possible attack, he swam off and I never saw him again. I was hit hard enough to have a large bruise for over 3 weeks.

---------- Post added June 13th, 2013 at 08:55 AM ----------

I've heard about those Bobbit worms (and will see them for myself next month).

In all my years of diving, I only remember two incidents where marine life bit me:

1. I was filming something in old gloves that had holes all over them (nothing new for me). Oscar, one of our huge sheephead, came by to check out what I was doing and saw my ghostly white knuckle showing through one of the holes in the glove on the hand I held the camera with. He bit down on the knuckle, but not as hard as he could. Despite what Mark Guccione says, that is NOT the reason Oscar lost one of his canine teeth!

I'm still sticking to my story Bill!!!

Shark Encounter 8-25-06 Hatteras - YouTube Link to a 10 foot Sand tiger shark charging me

Listed the account on Scubaboard under "Sand tiger shark" This is my account in 8-29-2006
I was diving this past weekend on the Dixie Arrow by Hatteras Village in N.C. We were diving on the Under Pressure with Capt. J.T. Barker which is a great outfit to dive with. We were mid wreck at 85fsw. and stationary for at least 2 minutes. I had just finished video filming a moray for 2 full minutes when my wife suddenly spun me around and I saw a 10' Ragged tooth aka Sand Tiger Shark coming straight at me. The pecotral fins were angled down. I automatically turned on the camera the second I saw the shark. It took less than 3 seconds for the shark to get me. When it was just a foot away I moved the camera towards him and he bolted.

I typically see at least 6 of these sharks on most dives in Hatteras and was told they were not aggressive. If my wife had not turned me around or if I didn't have my camera and lights on as he came at me, I'm not sure what would've happened. I have never been overly concerned about the Sand tigers as I understood they were not aggressive and many times I have been within a few feet of them when the swam by me. This particular shark was a big boy of at least 10' or more, probably the largest one I've seen to date. My wife says the internet claims the ragged tooth/sand tiger is the 4th most aggressive on the scale with 50/50 provoked and unprovoked attacks. I don't know if this is accurate or not.

Back
Top Bottom