Things That Almost Bit You

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was almost bit by a rattlesnake once. Then somebodies dog, which would have been really bad for the dog because I'd have shot the bastard.

I saw a file clam chase a diver on a night dive once. Laughed so hard almost spit my reg out. I was also watched my husband get smacked by a mantis shrimp in Tulumben. He screamed pretty loud, afterwards we were thankful that it didn't hit his lens instead.

-For DM I had to do the distance swims in a quarry. Had just a swimsuit on. After finishing the longest swim I was hanging on the edge of dock resting and a bluegill nailed me in the chest. Got out of the water with blood running down by chest.

-Been thumped a couple times by bass.

-Only time I have been scared was in the Keys. Was drifting along just a couple feet over a level area of coral when I looked ahead and so a really big green moray coming toward me swimming in and out of the coral. I was going to pass just inches over him. Didn't want to do anything to scare him so I just inhaled (yes, I held my breath) and prayed. As I passed over him I remember thinking, "don't bite me in the face, don't bite me in the chest, don't bite me in the stomach, Please Please don't bite me there ...."

I've dived with sharks, moray eels and barracuda, but the only things that have bitten me were a sergeant major in Bonaire and a bluegill in Haigh Quarry. Never again do I skip the hood! The silly thing bit my chin and left teeth marks all the way around.

I was also watched my husband get smacked by a mantis shrimp in Tulumben. He screamed pretty loud, afterwards we were thankful that it didn't hit his lens instead.

They don't call them thumb splitters without good reason ....

I've had sarcastic fringehead and Garibaldi quite determinedly chase me. My buddy Ted chased a great white once until he got within 40 feet and realized it wasn't a mamal.

I was a volunteer diver at the Adventure Aquarium in Camden, NJ for a couple of years and was once bitten on the butt by a large green sea turtle. Luckily she got more wetsuit than skin.

Kind of funny how this turned from a "things that ALMOST bit you" to a "things that bit you" thread lol.. And why is everything underwater trying to kill us? Haha

I was t-boned by a manatee once in Blue Spring (Orange City). Cracked three ribs! She was with a small, small cub, so she was only trying to protect it. BTW, they approached me and not the other way. I hid behind a tree in the water until they left. Don't mess with mom!

For those who don't know better, the accent is on the first syllable for DAMselfish. I had one tear my ear lobe once.

I have been harassed by river otters and seals but never bitten.

I did put a shell over a Mantis Shrimp hole only to see it shattered. I respect those guys now!

i got nailed by a titan trigger fish in Thailand on a DMT dive with other DMT'S he came in from my blind spot. it felt like a right hook .i really thought it was one of the group messing with me until i turned round and saw this pissed off trigger lining me up for another hit .thankfully one of the others came round the pinnacle and he focused on him then .nipped his feet and chased him to the surface thankfully we were in 5 meters of water at the time i could have spat my reg out laughing at him. but my jaw was to sore those suckers pack a real punch .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom