Things I've lost in Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bastian76

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay I think I've got one that might be worthy of asticky. I was thinking of all of things I've lost while diving in Venice,particularly after having lost the top half of my dive flag and my paddle(both of which I had tied to my kayak with 80lbs test) this past Friday. I'mnot sure how I lost those.

When I first started diving Venice I lost my underwater camera.I wasn't using a strap and quickly got distracted looking for things and atsome point lost hold of it. Don't know when that happened just that it wasn'tthere the next time I went to snap a picture. After that I learned to alwayshave the strap attached. Following up on that I lost a secondcamera a year or two later. This time I had the strap attachedto my BCD, however I didn't have it attached to a locking carabineer. So atsome point the carabineer must have opened up and away the camera floated. Laterthat same year I lost my GPS while shore diving. I wasusing one of the yellow inflatable dive flags/floats that had a hole in thecenter that you could put things in. It was a good 8 inches deep so I thoughtthe GPS would be fine. Lost it. Having watched others with the same inflatabledive flag I see they occasionally get knocked up on their side (even with theweight in the pocket) by a wave and sometimes the wind. So now if I use thattype of dive flag the GPS gets tied to the float as well.

Fortunately that's all the sea's managed to claim so far. Expensive lessons,but grateful to be out there. What have you lost?

Numerous dive knives, gloves, 1 kayak anchor & a weight pocket with 8lbs of weight.

I found one of those collapsable anchors once in an area near the shore between alhambra and golden beach. Lost it during the same dive. :(

Last edited:
Pair of fins and temporarily lost my paddle but the Hammerhead was passing by and found it and returned it to me :) THANK YOU!

Nice thread by the way!

Metal detecting scoop, I was using it U/W to look for teeth

The anchor I lost was one of those mushroom ones. Lost it at S.Brohard. I've been all over that reef & still haven't found it. :(

Maybe this thread should be "Lost or Found". I have not lost any gear yet but found an Oceanic dive knife off Venice beach last Saturday and then found an Oceanic snorkel off Alhambra Sunday. Started thinking someone out there may not like their Oceanic stuff.

The anchor I lost was one of those mushroom ones. Lost it at S.Brohard. I've been all over that reef & still haven't found it. :(

I'm still not sure how that happened but have a good idea where it may be if I get back that way ! How ya been ?

I'm still not sure how that happened but have a good idea where it may be if I get back that way ! How ya been ?

Remember, we were anchored & the water was rough. We got to gabbin' & the line rubbed against the reef until it broke. Someone else probably got it.:(

Maybe this thread should be "Lost or Found". I have not lost any gear yet but found an Oceanic dive knife off Venice beach last Saturday and then found an Oceanic snorkel off Alhambra Sunday. Started thinking someone out there may not like their Oceanic stuff.

Hay...... I lost an Oceanic knife off Venice Beach last Saturday. I'm glad it has a new home! If you would like the leg sheath you are more than welcome to it, as this was the second time I lost that darn thing. The first time was at the Bone yard diving with Florida West on the forth of July.
photo (6).jpg

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom