Things I learned on my recent trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RubberDucky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
On the 16th of April, I landed in Cozumel for the 7th time in 6 years. Though I ended up getting sick and having to cut the trip a few days short, overall it was worthwhile just like every other trip.

Below is a list of some things I learned during my stay. I would say some are good and some bad, but learning from experience is rarely a bad thing.

Keep in mind that these are just my personal experiences, and it is possible - very likely, even - that some folks, perhaps many, have had the same or vastly different experiences. Please feel free to share yours as well!

• If the 11 piece Cuban Salsa band Grupo Arara is playing at Wet Wendy's or in the square, go check them out. They put on a good show.

• If your throat gets extremely dry during dives to the point where you sometimes dry heave uncontrollably upon surfacing, and if you're staying very well hydrated prior to diving (and sucking on mentholated cough drops, and eating Tums, or any of the other non-biolfilter suggestions found on the Internet), suck it up and just drink some ocean water during the dive. It's not delicious, but it sure beats the dry heaves.

• Cab fares continue to be inconsistent, even though the rates are supposed to be the same across the board. For example, a trip from Punta Langosta to 4 blocks past Chedraui could cost you 30 pesos or 50 (before tip). I continue to state my destination to the cabbies prior to stepping foot in their vehicles, and politely decline if I believe I may be getting taken for when they give the price. I also ask for cards or phone numbers from cabbies who give good rates so that I can call them in the future if they'd like. I've met some very interesting drivers this way!

• If you take a pony to Meridiano 87 to have it filled, have them fill it right then and there. This is the second year I've gone there and they've told me to come back at 3PM, and at 3PM it's still sitting there waiting to be filled. When they did fill it, I timed it at about 1 minute, perhaps less (19cu ft, filled to 2500 PSI). The cost was less than $3 USD. I know that some dive shops will do this for you, but most of my diving is done with more of a freelance type op. Meridiano 87 is on Coldwell and 7 Sur if you're wondering. I think they may have a second location, but that's where I go to get the pony filled.

• Blue Angel doesn't appear to have much to offer (unless perhaps you're staying there, which I've never done). The snorkeling there has very little to see, and the food service is slow to non-existent. Twice our waiter forgot things that had been ordered. One was a drink, another was food for the 5 of us. When asked about the food after waiting 45 minutes or so, I was given the ol' "yes, it's cooking now". Having been to Mexico a few times in the past, I knew better than to let that go unverified. "We have a member in our group who needs to leave (which was true). Is it literally cooking right this moment, or has it not been started yet?". It hadn't been started yet, so we ended up paying for our drinks and finding food elsewhere. I'm not sure if the issue was lack of good staff, or just lack of staff in general (they didn't seem to have many people on hand for the number of folks that were there), but twice in the same day leaves one wondering.

If you want to snorkel, go down the road a bit to La Palapita. They'll get you food from Papa Hogs or La Hach in a timely manner in my years of experience there.

• In another ScubaBoard thread recently - I don't recall which - someone said something to the effect of there not being any mosquitos because it's not rainy season. If my legs could've talked on the 17th, they would have said, "you brought 2 cans of Off!, and didn't use any last night. Look at us now, you fool!". I used it from that point forward and was fine. Point being there are always mosquitos in Cozumel, rain or sunshine.

• CMC is expensive. If possible and not an emergency, perhaps try Medica San Miguel instead.

• The battery life on the GoPro 3 is criminally short. Before my next trip, I'll have to buy a second battery to swap out during the surface intervals.

• Thinking about buying electronics in Mexico? I wouldn't. Well, I did. I wouldn't do it again. Bought a laptop from Office Max, and was told by the salesperson there that it could be configured to use English during the setup. It couldn't, and the staff in the store refused to provide a refund. It also wouldn't connect to the wireless where I was staying, making it even more useless to myself (they tested it in the store with their access point, and it failed to connect the first time, and worked on the second attempt).

After calling the Office Max phone number listed on the bag, they arranged for me to get a refund, which I did get. This was 1 week and 4 trips to the store later. 3,000 pesos of the 7,119 they owed was given to me in coins (15 bags worth! hah!). I speculate this was due to the overall lack of bills at the store, as the store had communicated to corporate about how much money they do a day at the store, which isn't much. I certainly have no reason to disbelieve that. Though I had been frustrated while trying to obtain a refund, I had always remained calm and polite. A quick trip to Santander the next morning took care of exchanging the coins for bills.

• If you believe you've been screwed when purchasing something while on the island, go upstairs at the Plaza del Sol and explain your issue to the folks at Prefeco. While there is no guarantee that they can get your money back, it is to my understanding that is what they are there for - to assist you with such problems. I had already spoken with them and had planned on going with them to Office Max in 2 days. Thankfully I had been refunded my money before that day, and did not need further use of their services (which are free, as far as I know). One very imporant thing Prefeco told me is that I should have gotten it in writing from the salesperson when they told me that the laptop (ok, the operating system) will support the English language. I asked them if I could go to back to Office Max with my GoPro in my pocket, secretly recording, and if I could get the same salesperson to mention that they said it would support English (that seemed far more plausible than asking him to write down that he told me something that evidently wasn't true). I was told that would not be permissible testimony, or something along those lines involving the word "testimony" (my Spanish only goes so far).

• The Oasis Cozumel Apartment is a cozy place for a small number of folks, and is run by a highly energetic, friendly, and caring lady by the name of Cindy Smith. She does wildlife rescue in Cozumel, sometimes spending a week or so in the jungle taking care of various critters. When my dive buddy and I got sick and had to leave the island early, she generously refunded us the unused portion of our stay. The place is on 5 between 19 and 21 just 3 to 4 blocks from Chedraui - easy walking distance to groceries, cabs, and many other things if you like to walk.

I hope you've found something informative from this post. Overall I had a great time (afterall, we did get to go to La Choza!), and can't wait to go back.

For those who just want to see pretty pictures (and understandably so!), here are some average pictures which are really just screenshots taken from GoPro footage (w/ red filter, no lighting, no post-editing), and were not actually taken as still images.

Tortuga at Tunich #1

HQn91AF.png

Tortuga at Tunich #2

W1dOb0k.png

Damselfish (one of my favorites)

ew8ijcN.jpg

Seahorse across from the Paprika restaurant

4kn1HEy.png

So... When are ya' going back with all of this new found experience? :duck:

April has proven to be a great time of year to go (not too hot and rain seems rare), so probably then :cool2: There's also still a chance of seeing eagle rays then, and we were lucky enough to see one not very far away while we were waiting for the boat to pick us up.

nice juvenile angel in that pic too. Were you shore diving or snorkeling across from paprika's? I am always on the hunt for seahorses. And my pictures of them always come out blurry :depressed: But practice makes perfect, right?!

But the part about the dry heaving - that just made me chuckle - because that happens to me, and I couldn't possibly drink seawater. It would go from the dry heaves to the not so dry heaves in a matter of seconds.

I'm surprised that you didn't have a gastrointestinal reaction after drinking ocean water -- most people do!

There are good medical clinics here where docs can treat most illnesses -- even perform surgery -- at fees that are much, much lower than either hospital mentioned. For English-speaking patients, the International Clinic on Calle 5 between Melgar & Ave. 5 is an excellent option. It accepts many foreign insurance policies if the charges exceed the deductible. In addition to general practice docs, staff specialties include dive medicine, hyperbaric medicine, gastroenterology, ENT and orthopedics. Provides both in-patient and out-patient service.

I completely understand the dry mouth. I thought I was the only one who became extremely uncomfortable with it! I hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and it's not an issue on land. Sometimes I dive with sour, Jolly Ranchers in my cheek, but they only last so long. Although, I've never actually swallowed the water (not sure I could), you will see me with my reg out rinsing my mouth every so often. Freaked a DM out a few times. Don't know if she thought I'd lost it and was just going to start breathing with it out? This seems to work for me, but not too long ago someone here wrote about drinking underwater, I need to go find that and investigate....

Forgive me if this is too intrusive, but what illness did both you and your buddy contract thst hsd you seeking medical care and having to depart early?

I completely understand the dry mouth. I thought I was the only one who became extremely uncomfortable with it! I hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, and it's not an issue on land. Sometimes I dive with sour, Jolly Ranchers in my cheek, but they only last so long. Although, I've never actually swallowed the water (not sure I could), you will see me with my reg out rinsing my mouth every so often. Freaked a DM out a few times. Don't know if she thought I'd lost it and was just going to start breathing with it out? This seems to work for me, but not too long ago someone here wrote about drinking underwater, I need to go find that and investigate....
There is a risk of choking, you know...?

I have rolled in with candy still in my cheek by mistake - scared me. If something were to go wrong, afraid I might inhale it.

Last edited:
Can i ask. Why would you buy a laptop in cozumel? That seems about as good idea as buying expensive jewelry. glad you had a good time. I have been thinking about getting a go pro- haven't yet though. nice pics.

GoPRo's rock, especially the new Hero 3 Black paired with a backscatter flip up red filter. One of my vids, and I was having fogging problems (get the fogging packet things, they are a must!). Works great on a extendable pole.

http://vimeo.com/59440061

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom