Thick wet or Semi-dry suit purchase question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PolsVoice

Reaction score
I'm absolutely DYING to dive this winter. jus' cain't make it to spring.

Soooooo, I need a thick wet suit or maybe a semi-dry. My big conundrum is that I am not a small individual. I'm 6'5" 250lbs and most importantly, a student without a lot of funds.

I was hoping that some of you more experienced cold water divers could make some suggestions for wet diving in sub-60F water. I've looked at some Farmer John combos, but they are incredibly hard to move in, even if I can get 12mil on my core.

anyhelp is more than welcome,

thanx,

- PolsVoice

Divers Supply sells some nice, cheap, suits under the name SeaElite. I bought a 5 mil semi dry a few years ago to use here in South Florida in the winter and I love it.

Check out these links and see if it's what you're looking for.

Dry Suit

Sport Dry Suit

Semi Dry

Save your money, get the cheapest 7mm suit you fit into properly, and get a drysuit next year. I have a Mares Isotherm semi dry - which is an AWESOME suit. I'm 6'4, 225 or so, and it keeps me toasty warm. Unfortunately, toasty warm by wetsuit standards is still pretty chilly by drysuit standards. And now, I'm $400 poorer. Now, if it's cold, I dive dry, and the Isotherm lives all year in my closet.

Incidentally - would you be interested in a slightly used Mares Semi-dry in fantastic condition, size XXL? :) It might just fit, and we'd both win.

I dove in 57 degree water with a 7mm F/J w/3mm shorty under it. A good thick semi would do well at around 55 deg. Below 55 your heading into drysuit territory if you want extended dives and not just a quick in and out. Some people can do it but everyone has diff. tolerances to cold.

Scubamax sells a very warm 7mm semi-dry that retails for around $200. An XXL shoud do the trick.

You have less core insultation but in my experience this is more than offset by the 1 piece design and it's greatly reduced water flow. You can also add a hood with an attached vest and gain most of the core insulation of a farmer john with out the restricted mobility.

i live in ca and the water temp is between 55 -59,also dove lake perris where water temp is 50,i have never even been cold with the exception of 1 108' dive. I dont think i would even consider a dry suit for myself unless i was diving in the arctic or below freezing.only problem with suit is that it is very buoyant.

Bare Arctic hooded fullsuit semi dry is about halfway down this page for ~$190.

For sub-60 waters... do yourself a favor, and get a drysuit. If you will keep on diving... you will eventually get it anyway, and realize that you just waisted $200-350 on a wetsuit that you will never use again.

PolsVoice:
I'm absolutely DYING to dive this winter. jus' cain't make it to spring.

Soooooo, I need a thick wet suit or maybe a semi-dry. My big conundrum is that I am not a small individual. I'm 6'5" 250lbs and most importantly, a student without a lot of funds.

I was hoping that some of you more experienced cold water divers could make some suggestions for wet diving in sub-60F water. I've looked at some Farmer John combos, but they are incredibly hard to move in, even if I can get 12mil on my core.

anyhelp is more than welcome,

thanx,

- PolsVoice

DA Aquamaster:
Scubamax sells a very warm 7mm semi-dry that retails for around $200. An XXL shoud do the trick.

You have less core insultation but in my experience this is more than offset by the 1 piece design and it's greatly reduced water flow. You can also add a hood with an attached vest and gain most of the core insulation of a farmer john with out the restricted mobility.
Ditto that, Scuba Max even has a hooded version, 7mm "semi-dry" 1-piece with hood attached. It's Super Stretch material with the metallic lining in the torso area.
The zipper goes across the shoulders - but in the front.
This suit is well regarded by the Northern CA ab divers (gotta freedive for them).
They need max warmth along with minimum restriction.
Best thing is the price, almost half of the big brand names.

Back
Top Bottom