They might have a point,actually ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I struggled to find a title for this thread so I named it after a thought I had after my last dive on a recent trip. Not very imaginative, I suppose, but it's the best I could come up with anyway so here goes .

I went to a location not too far from Marsa Alam in Egypt. It was quiet over there and I just wanted to be in the water enjoying some shallow reef diving. As is the norm in Egypt, you are expected to do a checkout dive to check your gear and weighting are ok and allow the dive pros to gauge your experience level. A couple of days before I went out there I swapped out a HP hose and did not have time to do a thorough check so I was looking forward to the check dive to make sure all was well on that score. The check dive was fine and dandy - no equipment/weighting issues but I was a little perplexed at the request to leave my dive knife in the box before the dive began.

Anyway, before the dive began I put away my dive knife in the box as requested but I was little annoyed when during the dive I saw other divers in our group, predominantly photographers, with reefhooks. Now I've been to Egypt several times before and this was the first time I'd been asked to leave my knife ashore so I was kind of irritated and curious why.

Why irritated you might ask? I use a BP/W and carry a DSMB - my knife is carried as a cutting tool just in case I need to be cut out of my harness quickly or some sort of entanglement occurs. Yes, unlikely on a shallow reef dive but you never know!

I explained this to the DM after the dive and he said it was company policy that he is obliged to enforce. I spoke to the folks in the shop who explained that they had had problems with divers from certain locations who had used knives to take back mementos of the reefs they had dived and that in one serious case a DM was threatened by a diver with a knife. Because they did not want to single out divers from any one particular country or countries they had decided to introduce the no knife policy. I did point out the inconsistency with the reef hooks but they went quiet on that and we amicably agreed to disagree.

I did my dives along the reefs (minus knife), thoroughly enjoying the colour and splendour of the views. As I reached my penultimate day I was talking to the head instructor at the dive op. The subject of knives came up in passing and he went on to say that the knife ban was something he wished did not exist but was a necessity, as far as he was concerned, to protect the reef. His view was that divers from certain countries did not respect the staff and reefs in the same way that divers from other parts of the world did but he did not want to discriminate against the bad ones because they were often the most numerous divers ie his bread and butter divers.

On hearing this I could see the issue from his point of view - what do you do if your regular divers are crap - you don't want to be seen as heavy handed but at the same time you do want to ptotect the reef (and staff).

So, my last dive arrives. With a heavy heart, I start the dive with my dive guide. By the time I get to the last dive I usually end up as a surrogate DM so I get my own private guide when numbers are low :)

What a disaster! Me and dive guide look at each other as tank bangers are going off every minute. Our quiet reef dive has been invaded by a group of photographers - all equipped with tank bangers, expensive strobes, cameras. Having watched this group from 10 minutes, these were not beginners. They had solid buoyancy and decent trim for the most part but oh God they made a hell of a lot of noise and we saw they them finning vigorously from one outcrop to the other. One of them made his way across my bows to an outcrop so I followed him, positioned myself right next to him, watched as he clicked away and shook my head in disbelief that he was not even aware I was next to him (5cms apart horizontally at the same depth - yeah he pissed me off big time).
My Egyptian dive guide Salam (one of the nicest people you could ever meet) shook his head in disbelief at all this - my reaction?

Where's my knife?
I want to stab someone :)

They might have a point, actually ..

PS Most photographers I have seen do not behave as I witnessed with this particular group so if anyone feels offended please don't be .. unless you were in that group in which case you can .....

One of them made his way across my bows to an outcrop so I followed him, positioned myself right next to him, watched as he clicked away and shook my head in disbelief that he was not even aware I was next to him (5cms apart horizontally at the same depth - yeah he pissed me off big time).

I am not sure why you were pissed off with the photographer you were following, what did he do wrong?

I struggled to find a title for this thread so I named it after a thought I had after my last dive on a recent trip. Not very imaginative, I suppose, but it's the best I could come up with anyway so here goes .

I went to a location not too far from Marsa Alam in Egypt. It was quiet over there and I just wanted to be in the water enjoying some shallow reef diving. As is the norm in Egypt, you are expected to do a checkout dive to check your gear and weighting are ok and allow the dive pros to gauge your experience level. A couple of days before I went out there I swapped out a HP hose and did not have time to do a thorough check so I was looking forward to the check dive to make sure all was well on that score. The check dive was fine and dandy - no equipment/weighting issues but I was a little perplexed at the request to leave my dive knife in the box before the dive began.

Anyway, before the dive began I put away my dive knife in the box as requested but I was little annoyed when during the dive I saw other divers in our group, predominantly photographers, with reefhooks. Now I've been to Egypt several times before and this was the first time I'd been asked to leave my knife ashore so I was kind of irritated and curious why.

Why irritated you might ask? I use a BP/W and carry a DSMB - my knife is carried as a cutting tool just in case I need to be cut out of my harness quickly or some sort of entanglement occurs. Yes, unlikely on a shallow reef dive but you never know!

I explained this to the DM after the dive and he said it was company policy that he is obliged to enforce. I spoke to the folks in the shop who explained that they had had problems with divers from certain locations who had used knives to take back mementos of the reefs they had dived and that in one serious case a DM was threatened by a diver with a knife. Because they did not want to single out divers from any one particular country or countries they had decided to introduce the no knife policy. I did point out the inconsistency with the reef hooks but they went quiet on that and we amicably agreed to disagree.

I did my dives along the reefs (minus knife), thoroughly enjoying the colour and splendour of the views. As I reached my penultimate day I was talking to the head instructor at the dive op. The subject of knives came up in passing and he went on to say that the knife ban was something he wished did not exist but was a necessity, as far as he was concerned, to protect the reef. His view was that divers from certain countries did not respect the staff and reefs in the same way that divers from other parts of the world did but he did not want to discriminate against the bad ones because they were often the most numerous divers ie his bread and butter divers.

On hearing this I could see the issue from his point of view - what do you do if your regular divers are crap - you don't want to be seen as heavy handed but at the same time you do want to ptotect the reef (and staff).

So, my last dive arrives. With a heavy heart, I start the dive with my dive guide. By the time I get to the last dive I usually end up as a surrogate DM so I get my own private guide when numbers are low :)

What a disaster! Me and dive guide look at each other as tank bangers are going off every minute. Our quiet reef dive has been invaded by a group of photographers - all equipped with tank bangers, expensive strobes, cameras. Having watched this group from 10 minutes, these were not beginners. They had solid buoyancy and decent trim for the most part but oh God they made a hell of a lot of noise and we saw they them finning vigorously from one outcrop to the other. One of them made his way across my bows to an outcrop so I followed him, positioned myself right next to him, watched as he clicked away and shook my head in disbelief that he was not even aware I was next to him (5cms apart horizontally at the same depth - yeah he pissed me off big time).
My Egyptian dive guide Salam (one of the nicest people you could ever meet) shook his head in disbelief at all this - my reaction?

Where's my knife?

PS Most photographers I have seen do not behave as I witnessed with this particular group so if anyone feels offended please don't be .. unless you were in that group in which case you can .....

Nothing to do with the post but HI!!! How are you? Carry on

As I was moving forward he cut across my field of vision .. and grabbed a piece of coral to manoevre himself into position for the shot - he used his hand is what irritated me the most but his general lack of awareness meant his fins came very close to dislodging some coral. There was no current, he could have just slowed down, examined where he was in the water and positioned himself gently at the spot he was taking pictures. He did not have bad buoyancy or bad trim for that matter but he was charging around without playing close attention to the environment. Most photographers I have seen do their utmost to leave the environment as they find it, but this particular diver was only interested in the shot no matter how he achieved it. I find that annoying.

Had to smirk. Have seen similar. In Egypt I was allowed my knife. It's a small aqualung blunt tip with a 60mm blade. Anyway it's mounted to my harness in such a way that it would have been a PITA to remove, and small enough that tossing the blade in the box might have meant losing it.

I do sometime wish for a larger one. Nice shallow muck dive in Indonesia (not really muck as I could see the creatures - but small enough) We (my wife and I) like sea horses, anyway the guide had noted people round a small bit of coral, which seemed a likely candidate. So the 3 of us (me, wify and guide) hung back motionless in the water until the group moved on. The poor seahorse was choking on silt from the last group, so we gave him/her room and we took some shots on our little G15's with no flash, and then settled just to watch..

Our peace of a few seconds was shattered by the arrival of another photographer. There he was. Man in black. All the kit, mirrored mask, OMS wing, 2 Petrel 2's Jetfins, long hose, Huge SLR rig and outrageous flashes which would give a supernova a run for it's money.

We were dazzled by the flashed - the poor seahorse must have been freaked. The camera was pushed into our line of sight - and his feet were like 2 out of control Z drives, generating silt that a dredger would be ashamed of.

Tempting although it was. I didn't' want the recovery divers to be mystified whether his cause of death was OOA or an SLR enema.

As luck would have it his boat was from the sister dive centre to ours, and came back to our centre between dives. There he was proudly showing off his shots to all and sundry, when I chimed in, that I had a great video. There he was in all his muppetary glory exposed to all his friends and others. Not quite a satisfying as killing him, but near enough.

Likewise I know not all photographers are like this, although there does seem to be a direct correlation in that the bigger the rig, the less considerate and aware the greater proportion seem to be

Tempting although it was. I didn't' want the recovery divers to be mystified whether his cause of death was OOA or an SLR enema.

Now that's funny! To the OP, in the future a good solution would be to use a line cutter. It's efficient for cutting a DSMB line and with no exposed blade, I suspect the dive ops would be good with it.

Where's my knife?

It is an Egyptian urban myth that gloves and knives are against the law for divers. But some DMs think they know better and that there is a ban. For clarification see this link.

Chamber of Diving and Water sports - Red Sea - Egypt:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom