They Didn't Peel Off the Sticker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there a specific reason for this? Or is it just common practice?

Water gets behind the sticker and can do bad-bad things to the surface of your tank. Viz stickers don't usually cause an issue (they are small) but those nitrox wrappers are just vicious.

Water gets behind the sticker and can do bad-bad things to the surface of your tank. Viz stickers don't usually cause an issue (they are small) but those nitrox wrappers are just vicious.

Ahhh... well it looks I'll be peeling of my Polar Bear w/ Trident sticker :w-t-f:

I dont like anything on my tanks, I even peel off the clear warning stickers from the factory. The divers initials and the MOD should be the only thing on my tanks if that (air tanks go unlabeled). I dont put VIP stickers on my tanks because I fill them or the fire dept does and they know me and I vis/clean my own tanks.

Nothing prettier than a brushed aluminum tank free of stickers and writing IMO.

When I put my home made Nemrod's Dive Shack VIP stickers on my tanks I remove the old Nemrod's Dive Shack VIP stickers. Sometimes I use really cool Homie's Dive Crib VIP stickers but those get funny looks.

N

In my opinon, people get a little too anal about this. A sticker is basically like paint - stuff can get under it and cause problems. But inspectors don't insist on stripping all the smooth and intact paint off your tank - they would just remove any paint that was loose or bubbled to ensure there was no rust or oxidation under it and to remove the potential for it to trap any water under the paint.

There is, once you get past the dogma, no reason to treat a sticker any differently. You can tell if the sticker has been applied over a smooth surface or not and you can tell if it is intact, has bubbles under it, etc. So if you can still visually confirm that there is no underlying problem with the tank surface, then there is no reason to remove the sticker. You need to make the decision on a case by case basis but to suggest all stickers need to come off at every VIP is overkill and is essentially a waste of time and effort in most cases.

I'd be willing to bet that most expereinced tank inspectors who are also not excessively rule bound would agree and work that way in practice.

Last edited:
When a cylinder comes in for a visual inspection, all accessories such as wraps and boots come off. Just like when your automobile is inspected, the old inspection sticker comes off. The cylinder has to be as "naked" as possible for a true examination. No, not every sticker has to come off, but you do probe the area under the sticker to see if there is a potential problem. If a problem is detected, then that sticker must be removed to see the damage clearly. If the cylinder meets standards both internally as well as externally, as well as passing an eddy current procedure if required, then a new sticker is applied, and the cylinder along with a copy of the documentation is returned to the customer. If it does not pass standards, such as having cracked threads, it can be condemned. A proof of visual inspection sticker shows that on a particular date, the cylinder met standards. There is no reason for more than 1 sticker to be on a cylinder as it can cause confusion as well as letting a cylinder that should be condemned to continue to be used if there is some time left on the old sticker.

My shop peels all the old stickers. They were cool and left the one from their shop from 1969 when the tank was new. It was the first year they were open.

Back
Top Bottom