They are a gimmick

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CwbyDiver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After spending over $150 on fins and supplys, I feel that these fins are not as great as they claim. Walking in shallow water was really hard to to the increased resistance created now by a fin going up to my knee. I am a County Rescue Team diver and Instr for a few Agency's and have tried these in the pool, open water, and on a recovery and I will be sticking to my basic ForceFin. I have let other divers I know try these and even 2 commercial divers and none of them liked them. They wee all glad to get to try my waste of money before they went and did the same.

Thank you for your review, Cwby. I have seen these around, and have been interested, but they have always struck me as gimmicky. Creating a solution for a false problem. Thank you for reinforcing the feeling that these are a stupid idea.

As you surely are entitled to your opinion, we have thousands of satisfied customers in both leisure and professional industries. That is why some commercial diving schools have and will stand behind our product and include them as a part of curriculum for the students due to the unique features of what our product can do in comparison to the rest of the fins out there, including Forcefins. Some military around the world are already using the Flipfins including US Navy, USMC and Pararescue units and the feedback is 100% positive.

Best Regards,

Omega Aquatics, Inc.

Attachments

• flipfins US Flag.jpg
    flipfins US Flag.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 456
Some military around the world are already using the Flipfins including US Navy, USMC and Pararescue units and the feedback is 100% positive.

QUOTE]

When you say that some military around the world are using the fins, are you saying that certain militaries are issuing these, or are you saying that people enlisted in the military around the world are using them?
Not arguing, just curious, as this is definitely not the first time I have seen them poorly reviewed.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to personal opinion. If a diver is prefers the fins, and can maneuver in the same way, then more power to him/her. I'll stick to my jets

Some military around the world are already using the Flipfins including US Navy, USMC and Pararescue units and the feedback is 100% positive.

QUOTE]

When you say that some military around the world are using the fins, are you saying that certain militaries are issuing these, or are you saying that people enlisted in the military around the world are using them?

"certain militaries are issuing these" - :lotsalove: Correct. Fins are part of the procurement programs to the Special Ops teams, Navy, etc.

Regards,

Omega Aquatics, Inc.

I have almost bought a pair a couple of times. Thankfully the distribution and representation in my area was terrible so I did not. I think the idea is a great idea....I am a photographer and getting into the water (shore entry) carrying my camera (Ike housed with Ike strobes) along with everything else and then having to let my camera dangle as I put my fins on is a pain and I am always afraid of banging my TTL cable and damaging it. I do it all the time, but I am always nervous. So, in theory I like the idea of these. But, until I am able to try a pair out on a real dive, I would never buy them. Too many failure points IMO.

But rest assured, I am not in any way dissing the product.....as stated I like the idea/concept.....I do not have them nor have I tried them to pass any judgement.

Diving in all types of environments(rocky/sandy shores, mud, lake, rivers, and and ice), having a fin that makes walking in shallow water harder than with my Force Fins on, doesn't make much sense to me. Using them was very hard in shallow pool because one cant just swim around without taking some real effort to kick the fins into place. And walking in them in shallow water, I might as well strapped a few stop signs to my chins as much force as it took to move. I hope our own military didn't get issued these as there job is hard enough without the extra effort to move in shallow water. I would NEVER attempt a beach entry in surf with the effort these took in lake shore waves. I could see the surf putting me on my backside fast.

And anyone that knows our own government, knows they have researched and use ALOT of gimmicks and worthless items. That's why they spend billions on research and development. I wish we could get alot of the money the government wastes on gimmicks

As you surely are entitled to your opinion, we have thousands of satisfied customers in both leisure and professional industries. That is why some commercial diving schools have and will stand behind our product and include them as a part of curriculum for the students due to the unique features of what our product can do in comparison to the rest of the fins out there, including Forcefins. Some military around the world are already using the Flipfins including US Navy, USMC and Pararescue units and the feedback is 100% positive.
Best Regards,

Omega Aquatics, Inc.

Obviously not quite 100% positive.

After spending over $150 on fins and supplys, I feel that these fins are not as great as they claim. Walking in shallow water was really hard to to the increased resistance created now by a fin going up to my knee. I am a County Rescue Team diver and Instr for a few Agency's and have tried these in the pool, open water, and on a recovery and I will be sticking to my basic ForceFin. I have let other divers I know try these and even 2 commercial divers and none of them liked them. They wee all glad to get to try my waste of money before they went and did the same.

Diving in all types of environments(rocky/sandy shores, mud, lake, rivers, and and ice), having a fin that makes walking in shallow water harder than with my Force Fins on, doesn't make much sense to me. Using them was very hard in shallow pool because one cant just swim around without taking some real effort to kick the fins into place. And walking in them in shallow water, I might as well strapped a few stop signs to my chins as much force as it took to move. I hope our own military didn't get issued these as there job is hard enough without the extra effort to move in shallow water. I would NEVER attempt a beach entry in surf with the effort these took in lake shore waves. I could see the surf putting me on my backside fast.

And anyone that knows our own government, knows they have researched and use ALOT of gimmicks and worthless items. That's why they spend billions on research and development. I wish we could get alot of the money the government wastes on gimmicks

(WOW just WOW) Normally I give a rats ass about posting on boards however, I have to comment on your so called PROFOUND words of wisdom, or lack there off, Ive had a chance to dive with these things and talk about fantastic fins! In my 15+ years of diving i wish we had these things back when I was in the Navy! you must be a real klutz or just really SHOULD NOT be diving if your having a hard time walking in some shallow water! :eyebrow: To each his own demise.

I was probably the first customer of this fins - bought it on March 2007 - very very expensive at that time. A bit akward at the beginning and took sometime for me to fully enjoy this great inovation. Very usefull on beach entry diving, still helpfull in the boat particularly if the area is small. Underwater - the fins are very convenient - better than my other 2 fins. In general I am happy and satisfy
But in my opinion, the material quality shall be improved - need stronger material or the bottom part of the heel support shall be more reinforced. After almost 2 years (more 100 dives) these area cracked and then torn. I tried to fix it with super glue but even worst. The other factor might contribute this damage probably the size too large; push more pressure on the sandy beach. Note - I ordered M size but received L and accepted it.

Back
Top Bottom