Thermalution controller not watertight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
14B1F4FD-419E-45EC-93AF-BAA6844A6F6D.jpeg
Hi Thermalution owners. Today I was using Thermalution heated tee-shirt under my shorty wetsuit in a hotel pool, just trying it out for first time, and when I slid control button to shut off heat, while still under water, a thin stream of bubbles came out. Thus means water must have gotten in. How do I dry out inside of controller? Is this controller broken? Anyone have similar experience?

Gotta ask, it is one of the Scuba ones right?

Gotta ask, it is one of the Scuba ones right?
Yes, not a motorcycle one that would not be watertight. Also not the surf version that can’t take pressure, although it was in the pool anyway. I can post manual photo when i get home from Hockey Game (MN Wild crushing Colorado)

Actually, I think the air trickle was from the outside of rubber gasket, that is inside control box, but sealed off from electronics. I shook controller and heard no slosh, plus I pushed button back and forth to clear out trapped water. I am hoping this is all it was and shirt hasn’t shorted out but still works.

Actually, I think the air trickle was from the outside of rubber gasket, that is inside control box, but sealed off from electronics. I shook controller and heard no slosh, plus I pushed button back and forth to clear out trapped water. I am hoping this is all it was and shirt hasn’t shorted out but still works.

I've seen the same thing with mine -- a slight trickle of a few bubbles. Never worried about it. Hasn't shorted out in ~75 dives.

So today I asked Thermalution Headquarters about replacement rubber caps for protecting the electric pins when not in use, and the very nice man told me they are $15 for two, meanwhile I need a dozen, and don’t want to pay that much for plastic nibblets. He said they were specialty crafted to meet air travel security, which is nice but still. My two year old sneezed out bigger pieces of plastic than this!

Back
Top Bottom