There are Reports of an Expat involved in a Shootout with local in Port Royal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stevep4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any updates on this? I understand that there were a number of witnesses and a local was killed.

i just heard that a canadian says that people passing in a boat opened fire on him/his place with an automatic weapon, he returned fire and one of them was hit and killed. he is currently being held for questioning by the police.

Not much being reported through news or social media about this . Unusually quiet for a significant news event.

I been to Port Royal once. Quiet there. I guess.

Not much being reported through news or social media about this . Unusually quiet for a significant news event.

Where did you get it? Sounds entirely plausible, but kind of strange in terms of the few details.

Last edited:
just spoke to a friend in port royal. the canadian was the owner of the mango, he refused service to a couple of locals on a boat because they were blaring music and being rude, they said they would be back. they came back later and shot up his boats and then they came back again later looking for him and he introduced them to his shotgun, one dead one wounded.

i just heard that a canadian says that people passing in a boat opened fire on him/his place with an automatic weapon, he returned fire and one of them was hit and killed. he is currently being held for questioning by the police.
Can anyone legally own a firearm there?

Thanks for the update Laurence. I will have to start packing some heat on my visits to what appears to be turning into the Wild West. Do you know if there are any charges being laid by the infamous local police?

Thanks for the update Laurence. I will have to start packing some heat on my visits to what appears to be turning into the Wild West. Do you know if there are any charges being laid by the infamous local police?

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story, you version is incorrect....it was self defense though. The lesson here is to be nice, pride is a killa. Both sides should have walked away after the initial encounter, no harm, no foul.The one killed was on the bow of the boat firing indiscriminately, he was not innocent.

The thought of Canadians packing heat frightens me more than the islanders packing heat! Long live the second amendment, especially in Roatan. If we paid the kind of taxes you did, we could bitch about the police. That is one of the reasons we live here....less equals more...freedom and personal responsibility.

Reactions: Doc
No answer to my last question. Next: Does Canada have a Second Amendment?

I enjoyed weapons while in the Marines, but not now.

No answer to my last question. Next: Does Canada have a Second Amendment?

I enjoyed weapons while in the Marines, but not now.

A) The firearms laws in Honduras, possession is guaranteed constitutionally, but somehow the Government has superseded that (illegally) by signing-on to a UN Grant that had major gun control strings. No, it is all but impossible to "pack heat" in Honduras.

See? Gun laws do work.

B) Canada has all sorts of amendments, they even have the Fourth of July. Can you have firearms there? Some of them, sometimes. Read it all: Gun politics in Canada - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia One of the huge stumbling blocks that the Capital placed upon the local canadian municipalities: an impossible burden in the administration of the ponderous laws. Believe it or not, that icon of human freedom, Australia, is 10x more restrictive.

C) It's not an issue of whether we enjoyed them or not, they are what they are.

Today 5 people were gunned down in a Milwaukee Day Spa.

The lesson here? Don't go to day spas.

On Sunday.

In Milwaukee.

When you're in Roatan, don't walk out of a bar at 1am with two crack whores in a non-tourist area.

And don't run a bar and throw drunks out of it.

That's the most excitement in Oak Ridge in quite a while. SCUBA Tourism is absolutely non-existent there.

Go to Roatan, dive, stay local, get home early, don't be asking for trouble. There appears to be an ample supply for those in need. Most of the stories about bad situations involve long-term tourists (ex-pats), local women, business dealings, booze, and/or drugs. There hasn't been much 'random' crime.

I always stay at an AI, but I am a wussy boy. I don't need "island vibe", I need diving. I think you'd have to be nuts to be a cruising sailboater anywhere in the area.

If you want to be scared, by all means, be scared.

Otherwise, have no fear. Just use your head.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom