Theme for June 21-27 - "hit me with your BUTT shot...."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Imagine what great pictures these all would be had the model cooperated!
Thanks for sharing everybody!

I wonder how many of these shots would have turned good if it wasn't for the shutter lag of a digital camera. Did anyone use a film camera for these shots or are they all taken with digital cameras (I'm in the process of going digital and I'm kicking and screaming the whole way).

Yeah, butt the good thing about digital is you know immediately that you got a butt shot and can try again. With film, you don't know until you get the pics back from processing.

A tiny percentage of the rubbish butt shots that I have taken are due to digital delay. I almost always prefocus the shot by depressing the shutter release partially. Once the fish is where I think I want it, I depress it all the way. The shot is taken almost instantaneously. Most of the delay thereafter is the time taken to write the data to memory.

Most of my rubbish shots are due to me mis-timing the shot or not being ready for the "event". The turtle didn't move THAT quickly :)

Another issue to consider is that digital delay is reducing as digital photography gets more R&D dollars.

Cheers,

Andrew

Yeah, butt the good thing about digital is you know immediately that you got a butt shot and can try again. With film, you don't know until you get the pics back from processing.
So true, so true.

The turtle didn't move THAT quickly
Good point.

Here's something I learned yesterday...what is displayed on the LCD of your camera is not in real time. Wave your hand around in front of your camera while looking at the LCD display. I'm glad I found this out as this probably also contributes to the occassional "butt shot". So if the fish is looking right at you (as judged from the LCD display) he may have already turned around.

That is true. I often end up framing the shot on the LCD and then looking past the camera at the subject to judge the timing. Even with land-based action shots (mostly of my daughter that likes pulling faces for the camera - takes quick fingers to get a smile!).

Cheers,

Andrew

LOL...I wondered if anyone would notice! :D

Dee, I even quoted you and I missed it. Good one. Thanks for that info on yuzo.

Honeymooners

We found these two spooning, I guess they didn't want to be disturbed and hurried off....gotta love the grace of a frogfish on the move.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom