Theme 04 - 15 February, 2007: Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st_Cathedral_Jan_10_2007_012_final_small.jpg

These two pics were taken in Grand Cayman.. Had the wrong lense on really to take turtle shots (10.5mm) but made the best of it by getting very close.
picture-33.jpg

picture-32.jpg

Unfortunately with these two in Cozumel, my D200 was flaking out on me during the dive and the aperture was staying wide open. So between messing with the camera and trying to figure out how to take a reasonable shot with no aperture control in a few moments, I was suprised to even get this much of a shot (of course some raw editing had to be done :D)
_DSC1140.jpg

_DSC1142.jpg

About 15 years ago my daughter Coleen and I were on a liveaboard trip on the old Baja Explorador in the Sea of Cortez, Baja California, out of La Paz. We were diving in the afternoon on a rocky wall off the north end of Isla Partida near La Paz. At about 60 fsw we saw a large green sea turtle who appeared to be sitting in the rocks. It didn't move as we approached.

baja_turtle.jpg

On closer inspection we discovered to our great sadness that it was dead. Its shell was solidly wedged into the rocks and it was unable to free itself before it drowned. Coleen stroked its head and we grieved for it for awhile, then we marked the spot and left.

Co_turtle.jpg

When we got back to the boat we told the crew about the turtle. They found it, and freed it (with a crowbar). Upon bringing it to the surface they found that it was very fresh, and it became a barbecue for them on the beach at Partida. So some good came of it. But we agonized over how different the outcome could have been if we had only found it a little sooner, perhaps just a few minutes sooner. Que sera, sera.

Sad find, indeed. Reminded me of a turtle we found a while back...

skull1.jpg

Unfortunately his skeleton was so scattered and missing bits the next time we went back two days later I was only able to capture a few images. It's one of the rare instances I don't feel I took enough because I couldn't see the potential while I was there. It was a good learning experience for me as it made me a better "outside the box" thinker about my photography.

Back
Top Bottom