Theme 04 - 15 February, 2007: Turtles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOW, Alcina. Now that is 'close'.
parabolic:
Great shots alcina!! Have you found that if you avoid eye contact with them when you first see them they are yours for the whole dive? If you do make eye contact, they consider it a threat and split. But if you try to ignore them initially it drives them crazy and they just have to figure out what you are doing.
I have to remember this. It gonna be hard as we don't come across them that much, so you tend to take in as much as you can.
If it really works though, that would be way too cool.

Here are a few:

Turtle_004_web.jpg

Turtle_003_web.jpg

Turtle_002_web.jpg

Turtle_001.jpg

Fastmarc:
WOW, Alcina. Now that is 'close'.

I have to remember this. It gonna be hard as we don't come across them that much, so you tend to take in as much as you can.
If it really works though, that would be way too cool.

Nope, I haven't found that at all with turtles either here or in Cozumel. They don't seem to mind eye contact...they do dislike big or rapid/jerky movements and each has a very specific personal space so I find it's important to remember to go slowly and steadily, as always. Start by taking a frame or two from far away, if you need to, then smoothly come in a tad closer, repeat til you get what you want.

I have found that eye contact with certain sharks doesn't help my quest to get close - especially white tips.

2 from Little Cayman last year. Pre-photoshop, and without a strobe. Actually got my camera the week before leaving on the trip, so these are some of the first underwater photos I'd taken.
CaymanDay212045.jpg

With some friends
CaymanDay212029.jpg

Kauai Sheraton Caverns November 2006
Going back real soon!

Dave

Attachments

• kauaitur.JPG
    kauaitur.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 28
  • turtlekaui.jpg
    turtlekaui.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
Great collection y'all! Heeerz my contribution...

Still one of my favorite all time shots, reminds me of a Wyland painting
BlueTurtle.jpg

Sometimes they just pose for ya!
Turtleonreef.jpg

I love them all, don't tend to get turtles in Wellington..
Alison

Wow! All great shots. I love Turtles. Here are a couple from my meager collection.

PA130026-02sm.jpg

PA130006-02sm.jpg

PA130003-01sm.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom