Theft and Lost Luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I third the "check your home owners" for insuring your gear (or anything). My scuba gear is permanently covered by our homeowners - no need to do it trip by trip. And it didn't hardly cost me anything - I think less than $20.00 per year. It's called "listing". Check and see if your home owners covers for international travel - mine did. I also have listed my fishing gear and astronomy/telescopes stuff as well.

By the way, I carry-on my reg, computers, compass, snorkel, and mask. Someone on this board even said that they wore their BC on board their plane - don't forget to remove the dive-knife. :D

Good point. Something else to be aware of is that Qantas enforces a carry-on limit of 7 kgs, as do other carriers in the region.

They sure don't make it easy for the diver. Goway and Qantas air are the company's that my travel agent has booked us with.

I third the "check your home owners" for insuring your gear (or anything). My scuba gear is permanently covered by our homeowners - no need to do it trip by trip. And it didn't hardly cost me anything - I think less than $20.00 per year. It's called "listing". Check and see if your home owners covers for international travel - mine did. I also have listed my fishing gear and astronomy/telescopes stuff as well.

Thanks, that gives me a better idea on what I am asking for. I'm going to try to reach them tomorrow :wink:

I will toss in a couple of caveats for making insurance claims on your homeowners.

First, the companies all subscribe to a shared database of claims paid out. Once you make a claim, your insurance may go up and you cannot simply avoid the claim history by switching companies. Make a 2nd claim and you may find it difficult to obtain homeowners insurance. So don't make small claims.

Second, they don't know squat about dive gear and are masters of reducing the valuation of items to the lowest possible. Make sure you have a "replacement cost rider" so the value if pegged to current new item market rate and take pictures of everything.

I will toss in a couple of caveats for making insurance claims on your homeowners.

First, the companies all subscribe to a shared database of claims paid out. Once you make a claim, your insurance may go up and you cannot simply avoid the claim history by switching companies. Make a 2nd claim and you may find it difficult to obtain homeowners insurance. So don't make small claims.

Second, they don't know squat about dive gear and are masters of reducing the valuation of items to the lowest possible. Make sure you have a "replacement cost rider" so the value if pegged to current new item market rate and take pictures of everything.

Replacement cost is a good thing to look for. I was talking with them today and they are going to send me literature with the details laid out for me. I'l keep in mind the shared database before making a claim. I was talking to a local about this as well today and they suggested that I use Blue Cross to cover my gear. That might get me away from that shared database you're talking about. I would hate to pay premiums on an insurance that is already expensive enough...

I flew almost the same route from SFO and without the Adelaide leg couple of years back. I never had any problem with Qantas other than bags arriving very late in Brisbane but it was late for everyone. I carried my reg and computer in the carry-on luggage. If you are flying from North American and I suppose you are using the Qantas' Aussie pass, you are not subject to Qantas' domestic luggage restriction.

Back
Top Bottom