The WORST news ... then RESCUE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BladesRobinson

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
FLORIDA / LAT 27°39.133' / LON 080°22.261' / ICW M
The past 18 hours has been pure hell ...

I was attending the National Association for Search and Rescue conference in Colorado Springs when my partner Pete Gannon motioned for me to exit the room. The look on his face was evidence that something terrible had happened and his cracking voice confirmed my suspicion. The news he delivered was the worst ... A brother public safety diver was missing, the outcome was bleak.

I had received a phone call several hours earlier from the U. S. Coast Guard and they were asking if the IADRS side scan SONAR that is staged in Florida was available to search for a missing diver. The unit was available but because I was was in Colorado an immediate response was not possible. I provided a list of other resources that were more immediately available and didn't dwell on the unfolding events until Pete broke the news that the missing diver was a public safety diver, a "brother" firefighter.

The missing diver was known to have good skills. He had recently completed the IADRS Watermanship Test and Annual SCUBA Skills Review/Evaluation by his team leader. Additionally, he was a avid commercial harvester and he was spearfishing nearly 8 miles offshore when he went missing. He certainly was not the casual recreational diver and while many were hopeful, many were guessing something had gone terribly wrong.

I made a phone call to our boat crew and learned that seas were running 3 to 5 feet and their progress was slow. From past experience I knew that the search would be difficult. I also know there was a possibility that the diver might be alive and well, unable to be seen by vessels. Air resources were scouring the area too, 2 helicopters and a USCG Falcon jet. As the sun set, a C-130 was launched to assist in continuing the search through the night. The prognosis was not good and I worked to make arrangements to return to Florida early.

The airlines played their usual games. To change my ticket and depart 2 days early, I would have to pay nearly $500 extra. That was their "special" price because I was returning due to the situation. Ironically, as I was looking at the computer and speaking to the customer service agent, I could see I could book a ticket online, same airline, same flight for nearly $100 less! (I'm glad the agents were doing me a "favor" ...NOT! ... It was American Airlines if anyone cares to know). The flight would require me to drive from Colorado Springs to Denver for a 0630 flight. With several hours of shut eye, I left the hotel at 0330 so I could start working my way to Florida.

I spoke to two of the DRI corporate trainers in Florida and learned that the night operation had negative results. I had hoped that FLIR would have a positive results and also knew that the diver was carrying a flashlight. The fact that he had not been located sank hearts further. A side scan SONAR and two operators were in route, dozens of firefighters from around the State and dozens of volunteers were heading out to begin day operations.

I boarded my flight and started working on ICS forms and planning how to support the operation for the long term. It's a BIG ocean ...
It could take days...

I landed in Dallas/Fort Worth and when I turned my phone on the text messages started to chime in on the display. Then the best one... "helo picked him up alive."

It was tremendous news and while I was very hopeful that the situation would be resolved with a save, I was anticipating a long search with a tragic outcome. I pass along the article below so each can share the good news. I will try to post more after I learn facts.

Blades

Missing diver found alive
(Published May 31, 2008)
FORT PIERCE, Fla. — A diver has been found safe after going missing for approximately 21 hours while diving off Florida's east coast.
Coast Guard officials found Patrick Scartozzi around 10 a.m. on Saturday, and he was reported to be alive and responsive. Scartozzi had been missing since Friday afternoon when he went diving about 6 miles off St. Lucie Inlet.
The 46-year-old firefighter went for what was supposed to be a 25-minute dive but did not reappear at the set time. He was then reported missing.
Scartozzi was being transported to the hospital for evaluation.

It is nice to finally hear a story with a happy ending.

Im in a Dive Rescue 1 class and the instructor told us about his team going out last night. It was sad news to hear. Today he told us of the live recovery which is great. I would be curious to hear the details of what happened from the actual diver if he was willing to post or allow you to post his story. That is a long time to be floating on those seas.

That is a long time to be floating on those seas.

You are correct! I will say though that I have been involved in several similar searches and in two cases, divers were located the following day, alive, tired, pissed off at their boat crews and not happy about their near death experience.

It would seem that an air search would yield positive results in short order but my experience has been different.

Additionaly, I am begining to wonder about the Coast Guard's calculation of drift and I am wondering if the electronic datum they use to calculate drift is more suited for vessels (allowing for the effect wind currents) and less appropriate for victims who are not affected by wind. Are there any Coast Guard folks monitoring this forum who would know how the datum was designed?

I am back in Florida and I am really glad I am not offshore or manning a command post this evening. I plan to speak to Jason Morss tomorrow to learn more about the incident and hope to speak to Lt Scartozzi later in the week.

This is an updatd story from the local newspaper...

Missing diver found alive and responsive off Jensen Beach

By Hillary Copsey (Contact)
Originally published 09:59 a.m., May 31, 2008
Updated 03:46 p.m., May 31, 2008

FORT PIERCE — The cheer went up at 9:50 a.m. Saturday.
Since daybreak, Fort Lauderdale firefighters — coworkers of Patrick Scartozzi, the Palm City man lost since a Friday dive off the St. Lucie Inlet — had waited at the U.S. Coast Guard station on Seaway Drive. They coordinated extra search teams to help the Coast Guard and St. Lucie emergency teams find Scartozzi.
And just before 10 a.m., the work paid off.
“They found him,” shouted a U.S. Coast Guard official running from the station. “A helo is taking him to St. Mary’s. He’s alive.”
A Coast Guard helicopter, one of more than half a dozen aircrafts and boats searching since yesterday afternoon, found Scartozzi roughly six miles from his dive site and a mile off the Jensen Beach shore. The helicopter was taking the 43-year-old firefighter and paramedic to St. Mary’s Medical Center, the nearest trauma center.
“Yeah!,” the firefighters yelled and smiled, laughed and pumped their fists in the air. Everyone got on their cell phone.
Scartozzi would soon be the phone, too.
His wife Chrissie spoke with him briefly before heading to St. Mary’s, sister-in-law Lisa Simescu said around 10:30 a.m.. She was readying the three Scartozzi children — 16-year-old Patrick Junior and his 12- and 7-year-old sisters — for the trip to the hospital.
“He sounded really, really tired, obviously, but what a great voice to hear,” Simescu said.
Twenty-two hours had passed since Scartozzi, a licensed commercial diver, went into about 95 feet of water at noon Friday for what was supposed to be a 25-minute dive, according to Mike Walker, duty officer at the Coast Guard’s District 7 command center in Miami. Scartozzi, wearing a black wetsuit that made him nearly invisible in the dark water, was separated from his boat and was reported missing just before 1 p.m.
Coast Guard search boats and aircraft were joined late Friday by crews from the Fort Lauderdale Fire and Rescue, eager to find one of their own, said Bob Simac, Fire and Rescue battalion chief. Scartozzi has worked for 11 years with the Fort Lauderdale crews.
“He’s a stand-up guy,” coworker Tom Major said, just after Scartozzi’s rescue was announced. “He’d do anything for anybody else and that’s why everyone’s here.”
Scartozzi also was an experienced diver. Both Scartozzi’s coworkers and family said they were sure, as the search wore on, he was trying to swim to shore against north-moving currents. Many stories of lost divers end in tragedy, but Scartozzi’s family and friends, his sister-in-law said, felt he would be found alive.
“We all knew,” Simescu said. “We all knew, if he got lost, he knew what to do.”

To CHAINSAW... It is coincidental that the DRI instructor in Maryland would normally be the officer aboard the vessel assigned to the search. Small world... I hope your class is going well and wish you the best on the final evaluation.

The instructor is a great guy. I have been picking his brain for alot of information on Public Safety Diving. I personally hope to go further in this line of training.

Be Safe

Kind of reinforces the NEVER GIVE UP slogan doesn’t it.

Fantastic

Gary D.

so how did he become seperated from the boat?

CNN said he became seperated from his dive flag, which seperated him from his boat.

was he diving alone? on a private boat with no one else on the boat?

just curious...

so how did he become separated from the boat?

I can provide some additional information and though I believe it to be reliable, it is subject to some error since it is second hand. The preliminary information as I know it follows...

The diver was a licensed "commercial harvester" in Florida who was engaged in spearfishing. The typical dive profile involves the diver swimming along a single ledge and covering as much territory as possible. It is typically a solo operation and if two divers are deployed at the same time, it is not uncommon for one to go one direction and the second to go in the opposite. That way the divers are not spearing each other and they are covering a larger area.

Some may find fault in this dive profile. It is certainly NOT "public safety diving" and it is NOT "recreational diving" either. Understand these guys are harvesting fish in an effort to pay off a $30,000 to $50,000 vessel, $1,500 to $2,500 of dive gear, insurance and FUEL ... plus put money in their pocket. Until consumers are comfortable paying $40 per pound for fish and $60 per pound for lobsters, this is the way most dive harvesters have to operate in order to make a profit. I'm not condoning the profile, just stating the facts of life here in Florida.

On the day the diver went missing, seas were running between 3 to 6 feet in height. It is my understanding that the diver was NOT carrying a flag/buoy and it is my opinion that was a contributing factor. Additionally, there may have been some confusion between the diver and the boat operator but as I now understand it, the diver was only doing a bounce dive for 10 minutes. When he surfaced, he could see the vessel but the vessel operator could not see him. In those sea conditions, that is not uncommon. In defense of the boat operator, no one else involved in the search operation could see the diver either. When you are looking for a head that sticks 12 inches above the water in seas that are 36 to 72 inches in height, it is not unreasonable to speculate that the diver can be hidden from view approximately 80-85% of the time. The odds are NOT in favor of the diver and that is why many dive with a buoy and most carry a "safety sausage."

The diver was equipped with a C-4 flashlight as a safety device (and it is helpful for finding fish/lobsters under deep ledges). He was also using a dive scooter so he could cover the bottom area faster. When it became apparent that the boat was not going to find the diver, the diver began heading for shore. He utilized the scooter until the battery was completely drained, then ditched the battery.

It is my understanding that the diver retained possession of the scooter. It did provide some flotation and it could have been used to fend off predatory fish. Though I don't know for certain why the diver didn't ditch the scooter, I don't believe anyone is entitled to second guess the decisions that were made since none of us were in the position this diver was in.

I remain hopeful I will have an opportunity to speak with the diver directly in an effort to learn what happened; what happened right and what happened wrong. This is a tremendous opportunity for all of us to learn; as divers and as rescuers.

I am not certain anyone factored in the fact that the diver had a scooter. On "day 1" I believe most of the searchers were concentrating their efforts down current from the Last Seen Point. I wonder now, with the advantage of hindsight if it wouldn't have been a good idea to anchor a vessel down stream from the dive site and let the diver swim to the vessel. As a "Monday morning quarterback" having the advantage of hindsight, it seems like a good idea ... but I don't know if the diver would have been able to recognize that the vessel was anchored and would know it would stay in position for an extended period of time. (What flag would we display to indicate that?) It would be bad if the diver exerted a whole lot of energy and within minutes of self rescue, the vessel pulled anchor and went somewhere else.

As more facts are known I will try to post the learning points here for the benefit of all.

For the "responders" who monitor this forum, additional information can be shared on the SAR-Diver forum at: SAR-Diver : Water Rescue & Recovery and PSD Forum

Back
Top Bottom