The WORST news ... then RESCUE!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the additional information.

When he surfaced, he could see the vessel but the vessel operator could not see him. In those sea conditions, that is not uncommon. In defense of the boat operator, no one else involved in the search operation could see the diver either. When you are looking for a head that sticks 12 inches above the water in seas that are 36 to 72 inches in height, it is not unreasonable to speculate that the diver can be hidden from view approximately 80-85% of the time.

I was trying to explain the same thing to someone who had seen the CNN report on this. That if the seas were high, it was very hard to for the diver to see the boat or anyone to see the diver.

Is there any explanation as to why he didn't scooter back to the boat?

Rachel

Is there any explanation as to why he didn't scooter back to the boat?

The boat was not anchored at a fixed site and the news article in this morning's local paper may better explain the situation.

Diver, firefighter recalls clinging to scooter while in ocean for 22 hours

By BY CAROLYN SCOFIELD WPTV NewsChannel 5
Originally published 07:13 a.m., June 3, 2008
Updated 07:13 a.m., June 3, 2008

PALM CITY — Patrick Scartozzi has what he calls a "death photo."
It's the picture Fort Lauderdale Fire Rescue uses in case something happens to the lieutenant.
It's the picture his friends showed WPTV NewsChannle 5 and other media outlets Friday night when Scartozzi was reported missing after a dive in the Atlantic Ocean.
Scartozzi still has a "death photo," but he doesn't need it. After 22 hours in the Atlantic Ocean, this diver and firefighter is very much alive.
Scartozzi, 43, who lives in Palm City, went out with a friend to dive Friday. The two were spearfishing about seven miles off the coast of Jensen Beach.
Scartozzi thought this would be a quick trip under the water, but he spent the next 22 hours floating in the Atlantic Ocean.
He said he went under the water for 10 minutes. He resurfaced and noticed his friend turning the boat south to alert two fishing boats in the area. The current carried Scartozzi north, quickly away from the boat.
After a few hours in the water, Scartozzi knew his friend couldn't find him. He saw U.S. Coast Guard helicopters flying overhead and tried to get the pilot's attention.
At one point, Scartozzi shot his spear gun into his scooter, thinking the flash would catch the eye of rescuers overhead. The gun instead kicked back and broke his hand, causing it to bleed in the process.
Scartozzi was then alone in the ocean. The sun was setting and he was bleeding.
"I pretty much got into position where I began a slow kick to shore," says Scartozzi, who began diving at age 16 and once worked as a commercial fisherman. "And just got into position on my back and pretty much kicked towards shore all night."
Scartozzi's fins kicked up plankton and left a glowing green trail in the dark ocean. He felt a fish bump his leg - and he had other visitors.
"I had the porpoises at like I'd say about 3 a.m.," he said. "I could hear the porpoises show up about 3 or 4 in the morning. You could hear them doing their little squeaking, and they hung out with me for about an hour."
At daybreak, Scartozzi spotted the condominiums on Hutchinson Island. He turned his burned face away from the sun, towards shore and kept kicking.
Around 9 a.m., a Coast Guard helicopter again flew overhead. This time it made a quick U-turn.
Rescuers dropped a bucket down to Scartozzi and brought him to safety.
He was treated for dehydration at St. Mary's Medical Center and also underwent two surgeries for his broken hand. His face is peeling from the sunburn.

Thanks for the additional information.

I was trying to explain the same thing to someone who had seen the CNN report on this. That if the seas were high, it was very hard to for the diver to see the boat or anyone to see the diver.

...And that is THE reason why EVERYONE should spend $15 and purchase a "safety sausage."

Additionally, it is my strong opinion that no one should dive without a buoy and flag float assembly. I was a commercial harvestor for eight years (1980-1988) and would have dive buddies whine about having to drag a float. Once they did it, they learned it wasn't that big of a deal. I would use a poly line so it wouldn't snag or easily tangle and I placed a small piece of neoprene about 20' from the end to give the line some extra lift to prevent the snagging concern. At the "bitter end" I attached a 2-3 pound lead weight and that went inside my catch bag. If I stirred up sediment wrestling with a lobster, I could easily relocate the catch bag. At the conclusion of the dive, I would leave the weight under the ledge so the next diver could begin at the same point where I stopped. The system worked! AND ... NO ONE was ever lost at sea.

...And that is THE reason why EVERYONE should spend $15 and purchase a "safety sausage."

Additionally, it is my strong opinion that no one should dive without a buoy and flag float assembly. I was a commercial harvestor for eight years (1980-1988) and would have dive buddies whine about having to drag a float. Once they did it, they learned it wasn't that big of a deal. I would use a poly line so it wouldn't snag or easily tangle and I placed a small piece of neoprene about 20' from the end to give the line some extra lift to prevent the snagging concern. At the "bitter end" I attached a 2-3 pound lead weight and that went inside my catch bag. If I stirred up sediment wrestling with a lobster, I could easily relocate the catch bag. At the conclusion of the dive, I would leave the weight under the ledge so the next diver could begin at the same point where I stopped. The system worked! AND ... NO ONE was ever lost at sea.

Blades,
Considering the danger or not beeing seen in suddenly bad weather conditions, in area like this guy was diving in, I would suggest carrying water-proof flares in a pouch ( like a Halcyon backplate pouch with no added drag) or if you have the money, a personal epirb.

Regards,
Dan Volker

ACR Mini B300 ILS Water Activated 121.5 MHz EPIRB= could be placed in a small housing ( to maintain intetgrity at scuba depths) and still fit in a backplate pouch or BC pouch/pocket...and this is only $220 !

For those not aware of the details, search-and-rescue transmitters operate at two main frequencies: 121.5 MHz and 406 MHz. The older style 121.5 MHz signal is analog, while the 406 MHz is used to carry a digital signal, sometimes coupled with a GPS receiver. Support for the less accurate 121.5 MHz signal is currently being phased out. Use of 121.5 MHz EPIRBs has already been prohibited in the US and many other jurisdictions as of Jan 1, 2007 (ie US FCC per 47 CFR 80.1051). World-wide satellite-based detection will start to be shut down starting Feb 1, 2009 (eight months from now). Rescue/military ships and aircraft will still have the equipment to receive these signals line-of-sight (a few miles for ships) for the next few years, but support seems likely to greatly decrease over the next few years.

EMERGENCY BEACONS

EPIRB info confirmed with above post

Last edited:

did the above rescued diver have one?

BTW... for ocean diving an anything but calm conditions, I think most divers need a bigger one than the standard $15 dollar one that is typically only 3' long. (just my opinion)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom