Rebreather Rebreather fatality - Lake Blausteinsee, Germany

This Thread Prefix is for incidents related to semi-open or closed circuit rebreathers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
One report related that four rebreather divers with scooters were diving the lake together Sunday, but one went missing in poor visibility. When he didn't turn up, the alarm was raised and the search was started utilizing two helicopters, boats, divers, and a fire brigade.

Google translation...
The autopsy result is clear: The diver who was rescued dead from Lake Blaustein on Tuesday died of “barotrauma”. The public prosecutor's office has confirmed this.
The police had used boats and sonar devices to search for the missing man.
As Katja Schlenkermann-Pitts from the Aachen public prosecutor's office confirmed on Thursday when asked, the 56-year-old diver died of “barotrauma”. This is what the autopsy results revealed. It is also confirmed that the dead man is the missing man from the Ruhr area.

ALSO READ:

Special divers find body in Blausteinsee

A “barotrauma” occurs when the gas in the various body cavities compresses or expands due to a change in ambient pressure. This danger exists if divers have been at depth for too long and then return to the surface too quickly - for example due to a technical defect.

I was wondering how does a barotrauma happen on a CC.

The lung should dump under pressure. Would that be because the ascent was way too fast?

I was wondering how does a barotrauma happen on a CC.

The lung should dump under pressure. Would that be because the ascent was way too fast?
Low viz and a scooter. Could have lost track of depth pretty easily.

read it as "trauma due to hyperbaric conditions". Can be a lot of different actual causes
Sorry I don’t want to minimise the importance of the incident.

But please could you point me to some info so I can maybe google on my own to read more about causes that would lead to this outcome?

Sorry I don’t want to minimise the importance of the incident.

But please could you point me to some info so I can maybe google on my own to read more about causes that would lead to this outcome?
There was a fatality in Poland a couple of years ago during a seacraft demo. A diver ran it to 30m at max speed and back to the surface. Died of barotrauma.

Depending on the lung. The rebreather or the divers? I don't see many over pressure valves built into divers lungs.
I would have assumed that the diver would not block his glottis. Maybe he panicked and he did.

The way the article explains barotrauma sounds a lot more like DCS than how we typically use the term.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom